[Vision2020] Legislative update VI from Rep. Trail

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 10 14:30:56 PST 2007

Rep. Trail -

I seriously appreciate your legislative updates.  Although some legislative
sessions continue to be conducted behind closed doors, it is refreshing to
know that Rep. Trail lets us peak in once in a while.  Thanks.

In my opinion, item #2 (Grocery Tax Credit) does not truly benefit those
citizens who must apply the largest percentage of their annual income in
keeping food on their tables.  I am talking about those Idaho families whose
annual income does not qualify them for a tax bracket.  If a family is
earning below the poverty level, they are not required to pay taxes.  All
the tax credits in the world will not cheapen the cost of keeping food on
the table for these families.

My recommendation would be to maintain a 6-percent sales tax while
eliminating tax on groceries.

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the least we can do, although our
state legislature continues to echo the them, "No.  We can do less."

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown