[Vision2020] Godwin's Law Strikes Again!

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 13:15:53 PST 2007

I think that Michael Richards action involves a complex foundation. It is
something worth examining because it reveals mechanisms of defensive
aggression that can befall any number of persons that many people hold up as
good and respectable. It is revealing of gross undercurrents freely flowing
in the human condition.
In this case I separate the person from the act. The scale of his action is
not forgivable. I suspect that Michael’s person deserves forgiveness, but he
needs to earn it and examine within himself what unconscious investment he
had made at an earlier time. Why? Because his use of the N word indicates
that he earlier invested (consciously or not) in a hate based theme. When he
found himself in an aggressive environment, his examination of the situation
led him to withdraw this banked investment and expend its value in a self
defensive act. He must have been susceptible to an environment that helped
cultivate negative definition of persons actions perceived as connected to a
certain racial background. I have made similar mistakes, it may be that more
of us have than we care to admit.
In Gary’s example a person exclaiming anguish and uses the R-head word at
the sight of an innocent having their head cut off. This also indicates an
earlier investment conceived in an environment that cultivates negative
meaning of persons of a certain dress or ethnic background. It is an
expression involving hate of more than just the action of individual
perpetrator/s. At a minimum it includes “all” persons who wear turbans. The
use of the word, not forgivable. The person may or may not be.
Persons who cultivate hate, do not necessarily imbibe hate themselves… nor
love. In fact the sickest ones are immune to all emotion. What these and
their sycophants do is broadly plant, tend the crop and push to unload it
onto persons. The tool of repression is implemented commonly in society as a
coping mechanism. Its incredible what trespasses are perpetrated by a few
that we cumulatively ignore.
Individually, we can be culled out by those negative forces. I think that to
effect change of source/s that inculcate and perpetrate hate, these deserve
open examination by the mass of society .
What do I know about hate and bullying? In one sphere, as a youth growing up
in 1960’s and 70’s Moscow. I was one of only a few children with long hair
in my particular pier group. There were many college and high school male
persons who did at that time. In my youthful group I regularly experienced
hatred and occasional extreme physical violence. Perpetrated by just a few,
supported by the repression of onlookers or worse by those who would egg on
the perpetrators. Only because of my hair.
A lot of people demonize with the word Liberal these days, just at they did
Hippy or Gook in days past. You can be certain that there are children are
suffering from the expression of demonizing words found broadly disseminated
in the adult world... Including R-head.
We do live in a much better society now, but there is much work to do.
For good , bad or indifferent we become proficient at what we practice.
Dave