[Vision2020] low wages?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 07:32:36 PST 2007

g. crabtree wrote:

> From a news story thoughtfully posted by Mr. Solomon. It's unfortunate
> about Mr. Woods difficulties but the article did point out one shining
> example of the untruths that the local anti Wal-Mart wackadoo's
> continually spout...
>
> "Woods had trouble finding other work that paid as well as his
> Wal-Mart job"
>
> And this is in Lewiston. A town with twice the employment
> opportunities that Moscow currently (and for the foreseeable future
> should our illustrious city council have its way) has. Sort of shoots
> the theory that Wal- Mart comes to town and only provides crappy, low
> wage jobs, that nobody in their right mind would want wouldn't you say?

Let's see.  Racial harrassment, sexual harrassment, glass ceilings for
female workers, inadequate health care benefits, and unpaid overtime.  I
can see why "crappy, low wage jobs, that nobody in their right mind
would want" pretty much sums it up.  And that's just the items I've
heard about in the news lately.

I can't just look past all that because they happen to employ people.  I
think standards are a positive thing, and that more employees should set
theirs higher.

I'm sure Mr. Woods was happy at some level to have a paying job, but
going through two years of that kind of harrassment is too high a price
to have to pay.  I wonder if they fired the manager.

Paul