[Vision2020] Walmart racism suit in Lewiston

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Feb 9 06:06:39 PST 2007

	Friday, February 9, 2007

Wal-Mart settles race suit
Black worker fired by Lewiston store receives back wages, damages
				Editor's note:
Story contains strong racial language.

Becky Kramer
Staff writer
February 9, 2007

For more than two years, Travis Woods encountered
racial graffiti and slurs at work, according to
an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
lawsuit filed against the Lewiston Wal-Mart store.

Racial epithets appeared on bathroom walls and in
and near the closet where Woods - a night
maintenance supervisor who is black - kept
equipment, according to the suit.

But Wal-Mart managers failed to investigate who
was behind the graffiti, or discipline an
employee who yelled racial slurs at Woods, the
suit said. It alleges that Woods was fired in
2003 in retaliation for reporting the incidents.

On Thursday, Wal-Mart agreed to pay Woods $125,000 in back pay and damages.

"I don't wish what I went through on anyone,"
Woods said in a phone interview. "No one should
ever have to put up with the racist remarks and
graffiti that waited for me at work."

As part of the settlement, the Lewiston Wal-Mart
will also train its managers and employees about
federal law prohibiting racial harassment and
retaliation. In addition, the store will report
its handling of racial discrimination complaints
to the EEOC for a two-year period.

Wal-Mart did not admit guilt in the case, which
was first reported on spokesmanreview.com. "The
facts as they're described by EEOC are not
correct," said John Simley, a spokesman for the
Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer. "We do not
tolerate any type of discrimination, at all,
anywhere in our operations." He declined further
comment.

After managers failed to take action on his
complaints, Woods said he began documenting
pictures of the graffiti on his disposable Kodak
camera, whose images are part of a sealed court
file. He said he was pleased that training was
included as part of Wal-Mart's settlement, and he
hopes that it will help change the store's work
culture.

Woods, 36, was one of the Lewiston store's few
black employees. After working for Wal-Mart in
California, Woods moved to Idaho in 1996 to study
business administration at Lewis-Clark State
College and transferred to the Lewiston store.
When he was fired in 2003, he was earning $13.55
per hour as a night maintenance supervisor.

Around 2001, racial graffiti started appearing in
the store, according to the suit. When a
threatening racial slur and a drawing of a
gallows appeared, Woods showed the drawing to an
assistant manager, the suit said.

According to court documents, the manager erased
the graffiti and said words to the effect,
"There, now it's gone."

Two assistant managers responded to graffiti
incidents by cleaning up the graffiti or ordering
Woods to do so, the suit said. "I concluded that
any other complaints about racial graffiti were
probably pointless," Woods said in court
documents. "I also started to think that no one
would believe me."

He documented the derogatory graffiti - which
averaged one per month - with his own camera over
an 18-month period, the suit said. Store managers
didn't investigate or attempt to discipline the
person responsible, according to court records.

In another incident, a white associate tracked
dirt into a bathroom that Woods had just cleaned
and said something like "he would make my 'black
ass' clean it up again," Woods said in court
documents.

When Woods sent another employee home for having
alcohol on his breath, the man shouted
obscenities and racial slurs as he left the
store, the suit said. When Woods reported the
incident, an assistant manager told him he'd
probably have to work with the employee again,
and he should work the employee very hard until
the employee quit, court documents said.

Woods was fired in March, 2003. He had missed
about 1 1Ž2 weeks of work because of an
off-the-job injury and asthma troubles but had
provided a note from his doctor, the suit said.

Wal-Mart retaliated against Woods for reporting
the racial incidents by holding him to a higher
standard for work absences than other workers,
said Damien Lee, an EEOC senior trial attorney in
Seattle.

Woods had trouble finding other work that paid as
well as his Wal-Mart job, Lee said. No one wanted
to hire him because he was fired by his employer
of seven years, and he had filed an EEOC
complaint, Lee said.

Woods eventually went into business with his
mother, who runs a court record search and
retrieval company in Lewiston. In August, 2003,
he filed the EEOC complaint that led to the
lawsuit against Wal-Mart

"It was a long hard fight," Woods said, and an
emotionally draining time. But he encouraged
others to speak up when discrimination occurs in
the workplace.

"If anyone feels that something is not right -
that something has gone wrong in their employment
- they need to fight," he said. "You need to
follow up, or nothing is going to happen; nothing
will change."