[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (February 9, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 9 05:32:40 PST 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for February 9, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Feb. 9, 2007

Dear Friends,

Kris Kido, a finance major from Parma, Idaho, is a wonderful example of how
at the University of Idaho, students take full advantage of the empowering
opportunities to be found here - sometimes with surprising results.

During a rigorous summer internship supervised by a financial manager in
Sales at Micron Technology, Kris learned techniques that he thought would be
useful to other students pursuing careers in finance. He approached
Associate Professor of Finance Michele O'Neill and now-Dean of the College
of Business and Economics Jack Morris with the idea of teaching a course in
basic spreadsheet modeling. Kris made the case that such a course would
benefit both his peers and his professors. Dean Morris agreed to let Kris
teach a one-credit-hour course. Now, with two semesters under his belt and a
third underway, Kris is a pro in the classroom. His fellow students are
better prepared, and faculty are able to use class time more efficiently to
teach in-depth finance concepts.

In addition, Kris currently works some 30 hours per week - mostly on
weekends - for Micron. He will move into a full-time position as a financial
analyst when he graduates from Idaho this May.

Kris has redefined our notion of the opportunities afforded by a college
education. The higher standard he holds for himself is one of the qualities
that make University of Idaho students stand out from the crowd - in their
studies, their careers and their lives.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

University of Idaho scientist Lee Vierling has been awarded the Heady
Professorship of Rangeland Ecology. The professorship was the first named in
the field of rangeland ecology in the U.S. and the third named professorship
at the University of Idaho. It was initiated by Harold Heady, professor
emeritus of range resources at the University of California Berkeley.
Vierling will use the award to advance the ability of rangeland scientists
to apply satellite remote sensing techniques to rangeland monitoring and
management.

A group of law students is working to raise enough money to travel to New
Orleans as an Alternative Spring Break to provide free legal aid to those
who still need it the most. The student-led Public Interest Law Group from
the College of Law is working with the Student Hurricane Network (SHN) to
coordinate the trip to New Orleans March 12-16. The students will serve a
community dinner tonight from 5-8 p.m. at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in
Moscow. The dinner is $10 per person, complete with live music and a 50/50
raffle. Their goal is to raise at least $7,000 to fund their trip. Donations
can be sent to: University of Idaho, College of Law, PO Box 442321, Moscow
Idaho, 83844-2321.  Checks should be made payable to the "University of
Idaho College of Law," with "P.I.L.G" written in the memo section.

Victor '40 and Ruth Skiles of Falls Church, Va., have established the Skiles
Endowment for International Affairs at the University of Idaho. The
endowment will provide study abroad opportunities to undergraduate students
with a major or minor in International Studies; a program administered by
the Martin School of International Affairs in the College of Letters, Arts
and Social Sciences. Reflecting on his time at the University, Vic recalled
"Boyd Martin and Larry Chamberlain, in the political science department,
sparked my interest in foreign affairs and paved the way for me to get into
government service. The State Department has been a second home to us for
the 49 years Ruth and I have been married. We have lived all over the world,
including Israel, Kenya, Uganda, Sri Lanka, Greece, Afghanistan and Italy.
We have a great appreciation for all places and hope that our scholarship
will not only help to prepare students for careers in the international
fields, but also will foster the same appreciation that living and studying
in another county provides." To learn more about establishing an endowment
at the University of Idaho, please contact Heidi Linehan or Ed McBride toll
free at (866) 671-7041 or visit the Web site www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3