[Vision2020] New (and Old) Threats to On-Line Computers

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 08:37:21 PST 2007

That's a frightening device.  I can't believe a company actually
produces it and sells it, even if they do claim to be a "penetration
testing firm".

I'd also like to add that one important security procedure involves
setting a password on your personal wireless network at home, if you
have one.  The fact that the default is to leave it wide open is
downright criminal.  Yes, you have to type in a password to connect to
your own network - but so does the guy who just pulled up in front of
your house that wants to use your network to surf for child porn.

If you don't secure your own network, then you may not have the legal
right to file charges if some stranger connects to it.  The issue seems
to be a gray area in the law right now.  Worse yet, if somebody connects
to your system and does something illegal and it is traced back to your
access point, you may be the one going to trial.   Basically, if your
network is unsecured, it is broadcasting a signal which translates to
"Come connect to me!  My address is..."  The person in the area, maybe
even a neighbor, might connect to your access point accidentally because
many systems are configured to connect to the strongest signal they see
automatically.  So I definitely *don't* recommend delivering a payload
to them to disable their system if all you see is a connection that has
been made.  I still don't condone electronic vigilantiism even if they
do something malicious, that's what the police and the courts are for.

Definitely be careful at public hotspots, as well.

Paul