[Vision2020] North Polk Street (Was: Moscow City Council MondayAgenda)

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 07:44:46 PST 2007

Mark;

Yes, but because of this developer's penchant for INCOMPLETE submissions and
Dean's strong-arming of the P&Z, City Council and his attempt to do
like-wise with the citizens of Moscow and neighbors of this particular
"development", there is little to recommend this "development" and even less
to recommend this developer.  Take for instance his ability to tie up City
Staff and City resources for projects he has EVER (that's E V E R) to do
more than put an idea for on paper much less actually start or finish.  Take
for instance the fact that he now supposedly owns the Good Will building and
when it was recently flooded due to broken pipes - where was he?  Why, no
where to be found, that's where.  Even though he stated very clearly and
definitively at a recent P&Z meeting "I'm always available by cell, 24/7",
he was totally unavailable during that emergency and has NEVER been
available to any of the neighbors of Polk St. Ext.  Granted, his cell phone
has voice mail, but HE NEVER RETURNS phone calls, no matter how many are
left for him and the neighbors DO NOT HAVE THAT NUMBER!!!  Other people in
town do, but not the neighbors.

This "development" was first presented as an answer to housing shortage,
then as a "retirement" development and NOW its back to being a "housing
development" - the end result is that it was, is and will always be a
development for NSA students and CC families, with Wilson's "the Big House"
being in the very middle of the whole mess.  When Mike went in front of the
P&Z Workshop, his second plan for a "retirement community" included very few
sidewalks and a gate that would allow access to only the "members" of that
community.  The gate was dropped at the meeting (very big of you, Mike since
you never really were all that convinced it was going to pass anyway) and he
stated he would "look into putting additional sidewalks in, even though we
really are not required to."  Dean asked why this particular developer
should be made to accommodate the City in this request for additional
walking space and when it was reasoned with him that Mike was talking about
people 55 and older and possibly infirmed in some form or another, Mike's
reply was "Well, I'm not building it - all I'm doing is making the plans for
developing the land."  In other words - he copped out.  AND STILL IS, as now
it is once again a "housing development"....and people who want to walk
through the development had better belong there - there will be rules as to
who can and can not be there in among those houses.  (anybody remember
"Jonestown" or Waco?  How about Jeffes' City?)

Now, as far as the homes themselves, the pics of the proposed houses (again,
Mike is not building them, he is only providing the property and development
of same), they each include garages that look to go right down to the
street, and take up a lot the sidewalk (those that have such in front of
them) to such a point that the City has asked that two of the sites not be
developed in order to allow for more freedom in movement; i.e., there wasn't
enough space for traffic or foot-traffic on lots 27 and 28 (I believe) that
those were asked to remain as empty "green space."  Mike is not keen on that
idea and I believe rejected it.  We'll see.  Dean, of course, agreed with
Mike.  (Dean is the "self-appointed" mouth piece for Mike....)  Again, in
reference to the homes themselves, Mike's original plans called for single
story, not to exceed 20' roof-lines now includes some homes with "lofts"
that exceed 25' roof-lines; this is something the neighbors specifically did
not want to see, especially in-mas, due to the blocking and unsightliness of
this.  But, again, Dean argues that THIS developer should be allowed to
develop his property as he sees fit.  Also argued by Dean is that the set
back for each property should be allowed to be less than the required 20',
in some cases a little at 5-8'.

So, I again ask just what it is this particular developer has and why is he
being allowed to used it to bulldoze his way through the City system to get
a project approved that does NOTHING for the City?  In reality, this will
undoubtedly be declared "church property development", the City will realize
"0" in taxes and Wilson will have his plantation (big house and all) right
in the middle of the busiest parts of Polk St.

Seriously, since Mike has YET to realize even a modicum of actuality in ANY
of his projects, I doubt this one will do much more than waste a great deal
of City time and resources to get it approved.  I just don't see this one
going anywhere other than where his others have gone - and that is NO WHERE.
  It just irks me that we, the TAX-PAYING citizenry has to once again foot
the bill for this fool and his co-court-jesters just so Wilson can feel like
a big man (no pun intended...well, ok - maybe a little.  Truth hurts,
doesn't it big guy?)

Go to City Hall Community Development Office and take a look at the file.
Look at the "Community Rules" that Mike re-printed off a development in
Florida (not one of his) and see just how really ill-conceived and
ill-advised this whole thing is.  Then talk to the neighbors.  I have not
even begun to mention some of the issues that they have - one lady was even
told (TOLD!!) that this development would impede on her back yard and she
was going to have to just deal with it.  She didn't and won't, but it's
interesting to see the dynamics at work here.

J  :]