[Vision2020] Moscow Community Conversation Monday, February 12, Noon

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Mon Feb 5 17:46:33 PST 2007

Dear Visionaries,

For your information and hoping that many of you can attend, here's an invitation to the February community conversation. I look forward to seeing you there and considering the subject of civility...!

COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS CONTINUE.

TOPIC: BRING BACK 'THE CITY WITH A SMILE.'

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2007, NOON TO 1 PM

UNIVERSITY INN/BEST WESTERN CENTENNIAL ROOM, NO HOST

For information or to RSVP to save a chair, call Linda Pall, 882-7255

The monthly Community Conversation series that began last June with the discussion of the living wage and included topics such as downtown development, diversity in Moscow, growth decisions, town and gown relations, housing, and what's great about Moscow CONTINUES!!!

The second Monday of February from noon to 1 PM you are invited to join other citizens to address the topic: "Bring Back the 'City with a Smile'" As usual, it will be at the University Inn/Best Western, in the Centennial Room of The Pantry, on a no host basis.

It is hard not to see and hear the hard, cold, sometimes abrasive, sometimes unkind manner in many examples of public debate and discussion in Moscow (nationally, too!). Is this positive? Does this further Moscow's interests? Does this advance the cause of those participating?

Is there a way to disagree and debate heart-felt issues while remaining respectful of the others in the discussion? Are there some strategies one might consider in these communications, given how passionately each of us holds some of our opinions? Surely there is a way to have meaningful debate without caving into some 'smiley face/everything's swell' stereotype. Is there a civic ethic we could craft and share that would help us all to raise the level of honest, forthright, public dialogue?

Bring your ideas, observations and opinions to test-drive next Monday. Linda Pall, Moscow City Council member, will convene the conversation and look to you for your contributions. Please give her office a call by Friday, February 9, to assure that we have the right number of chairs around the hollow square: 882-7255.