[Vision2020] Moscow City Council Monday Agenda

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon Feb 5 16:21:59 PST 2007

When I first read the City Council agenda I laughed when I saw item 6
(pasted below).  Oh my, I said, how sad.  It looks like someone is
planning a gated community.  How insecure these people must be to
want a gated community here in Moscow.  Why?  When I read Ms. Bafus'
post (also below), I laughed some more and said, I should have
known.  But my concern isn't so much about a gated community but the
proposed bending of the rules for it.   The lot sizes have been
changed, that doesn't seem to be so much of a problem but the last
line of #6 bothers me.  The "public street standards have been waived
due to the fact that the internal roadways are to be private."  This
seems wrong on several levels.  The city of Moscow, Latah County and
the state of Idaho all have their building and planning codes and
regulations for a reason.  I may not agree with all of them, but they
are our standards.   All roadways within the city should be built to
the current standards.  This allows for greater traffic control and
movement of safety vehicles (ambulances, fire trucks, etc).  What if
the current owners decide to pack it in and move elsewhere?  What if
they decide to break up the gated community and allow it to become a
'normal' part of the community?  Then we would have yet another
section of town with narrow and inefficient streets.   Where else
will the building codes and rules be altered to ease someone else's
burden?  Sidewalks?  Plumbing?  Electric?   And when the next
developer comes along and says, "Well, you changed the rules for
them, why not for me?"  Where does it stop?  I urge the city council
to not waive the public street standards.  I urge the city leaders
(including, and maybe especially, the city managers) to stop playing
fast and loose with the city codes and zoning issues.   Consistency
and fair, unbiased enforcement of the building codes should be the
order of the day.  Instead it appears that spot zoning and the
waiving of building standards have become the norm.

It has been hard to write this post and not digress into a tirade
about the lack of intelligent planning on the part of Moscow's city
leaders of the past two decades.  I think the city desperately needs
some sort of master plan for growth and development.  Otherwise we
will continue to grow in the sprawling and disconnected manner of the
recent past.   And that ain't good for anyone except maybe a few
developers and contractors.

SB

6.       Public Hearing – Greensides Hill Preliminary Plat – Andrew
Ackerman
On January 10, 2007, the Planning & Zoning Commission recommended
approval of a Preliminary Plat for division of approximately 8.2
acres of land into 37 single family lots on the west side of N. Polk
Extension called Greensides Hill.  The land currently consists of
three parcels, each developed with a single family residence and
zoned medium density, single family residential (R-2).  The proposal
Preliminary Plat has associated with it an approved Preliminary
Planned Unit Development.  The R-2 Zoning District has a 7,000 square
foot minimum lot size for single-family residential lots. Via the PUD
process the lots have been permitted to be reduced from the minimum
standard. Additionally, public street standards have been waived due
to the fact that the internal roadways are to be private.