[Vision2020] who killed the electric car?

Bill London london at moscow.com
Mon Feb 5 10:29:14 PST 2007

A decade ago, California decided to get serious about smog and required car manufacturers to create zero-emission cars.  The auto makers did build electric cars for sale in that state.  Then by creatively undermining public support for the cars and reversing the state mandate, they killed the electric car.  Literally.  Even though hundreds of customers begged the companies to sell them an electric car, the auto makers refused (the cars were only leased, not sold).  And then the leases were ended, and the cars were actually crushed and recycled.

Though it sounds like a paranoid fantasy, it's all there in the recent documentary, "Who Killed the Electric Car?"  I saw it on DVD.  It is a great summary and a strong indictment of the short-sighted oil/auto industry that could only see that big cars equal big profits.

GM and Ford are now suffering big time with diving stock prices and huge losses.  And all I can think is those dinosaurs deserve it.

For more info, and links to the DVD, etc see: http://www.pluginamerica.com/
BL