[Vision2020] Wrong About the Bible: Slavery

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 14:53:06 PST 2007

On 2/4/07, Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> > pronouncements on particular activities. The New Testament contains
> > sin punishable in the afterlife and forgivable by repentance, rather
> > than laws punishable in the corporeal realm. Jesus did not
> > particularly consider that his teachings would ever be used in an
> > attempt to administer a state. For that reason, if you are looking for
> > a law in the Gospels that stands in direct contradiction to
> > Leviticus, you simply won't find one: the New Testament contains no
> > such administrative principles.
> >
> > Contrary to the apostles, Paul returns much more clearly to the Old
> > Testament. As a Jew who sought to maintain Christianity's roots in
> > Judaism and who was actively combatting gentile converts who saw
> > Christianity as a religious movement entirely distinct from Judaism,
> > he returned to the Old Testament when giving advice to Philemon --
> > advice that is  both facially inconsistent with the radical
> > egalitarianism of Jesus'  command that 'there is neither slave nor
> > freeman. Even granting that inconsistency, Jesus' removal of the
> > distinction 'between Jew and Greek', Christian abolitionists argued,
> > caused the crime of manstealing (which previously was interpreted to
> > only apply between Jews) to apply to all people, and, while it did not
> > free slaves in Paul's day, (a) made new enslavements punishable as
> > manstealing and (b) applied the tradition of the Jubilee year to
> > gentile slaves to which the rule was previously inapplicable.
> >
> > This is a fairly straightforward remez interpretation of two clearly
> > stated principles, and one that does not rely on the theological
> > wishy-washiness of using Christ's 'do unto others'  proclamation as a
> > sort-of overarching Constitutional principle for the entire BIble
> >
> > I can anticipate, of course, that you interpret Paul's interpretation
> > of Christ as the correct one. This is, however, inconsistent with the
> > interpretive strategies you use elsewhere -- strategies that accept
> > that the Bible contains clearly contradictory principles. Why you
> > believe that an interpretive principle you use elsewhere (to, for
> > instance, argue against the existence of an afterlife in the Torah)
> > somehow does not apply when it can be used to paint the Bible in a bad
> > light is beyond me.
> >
> > If you're interested, which I doubt you are, you can find any one of a
> > number of Christian abolitionists' arguments against slavery in
> > historical collections online. They are not entirely without merit.
> >
> > -- ACS
>
> Dear Andreas, you can't get around the fact that slavery was
> permitted in both the OT (Hebrew Bible) and the Xian NT. It was also
> accepted by the Xian churches for many centuries. I have long thought
> that using the Bible as an argument against slavery is both
> hypocritical and self-defeating. Slavery is wrong because it is cruel
> to our fellow humans, not because of anything one might dig up from
> the Bible or any other alleged holy book.

This is because you are an atheist, Ralph. I would remind you,
however, that however much your arguments make sense to you, they
were, as far as I can tell, not advanced at the time when slavery was
actually prevalent, and, in fact, did nothing whatsoever to actually
stop slavery from occurring.

This doesn't mean, of course, that slavery isn't wrong for exactly the
reasons you put forward. It just means that there are arguments
accepting different premises that condemn slavery equally.

You seem to accept the proposition that people get extra credit for
being logically consistent, rather than ethically correct. I don't. I
agree with you that, accepting certain things to be true -- that the
BIble is inerrant; that God's character is consistent between the Old
and New Testament; that the nature of the relationship between God and
man does not change between the Old and New Covenant -- then it is
logical that slavery remain "legal" between the two sections of the
Bible. That reading of the text, however, introduces inconsistencies
of its own.

> I think you are wrong to claim that Paul was trying to keep his
> version of the new Xian religion attached to the Hebrew Bible. That
> was what the Jerusalem Xians were trying to do. Paul boasted that he
> did not get his gospel from any man but directly from Jesus Christ
> (Galatians 1:1, 11-12). Obviously in a vision, not from a personal
> encounter with Jesus. Paul quoted frequently from the OT (Septuagint
> Greek version) because he was a Jew himself and those were the only
> Jewish scriptures there were in his day. The later gospel writers
> also quoted (not always accurately) from the Septuagint.

The 1st century AD was, for various reasons, a cauldron of new Near
Eastern religious movements. At the same time that Paul was writing,
various other religious sects -- none of which survived until the
modern day -- were squabbling over the legacy of Jesus. There was very
little Christian orthodoxy, and, as one got further from Jerusalem,
Christianity had less and less to do with Judaism.

Barbelognostics, Smonians, and Valentinians all claimed spiritual
descent from the teachings of Christ, but, to various degrees, they
either rejected Jewish cosmology entirely or believed YHVH to be a
deluded archon or evil demiurge. In that sense, the antinomian
Gnostics had entirely rejected Judaism. As the doctrine of the Trinity
was three hundred years from being affirmed as orthodox, the
relationship between Christ and YHVH was ambiguous at best.

In that context, Paul was straddling a line between Judeo-Christians
(who never had a tremendous following to begin with) and a vast
explosion of Christian heterodoxy that had largely developed out of
Jewish control. The fact that Paul remains and the heretics have been
pruned from the Christian lineage does not meant that Paul did not
have to take into account his very real contemporary competitors.

-- ACS