[Vision2020] K & G Funds

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Feb 4 00:16:45 PST 2007

Hi There,

Has anyone received a letter from K&G Funds with a check for $2,896.64 drawn on Firstmerit Bank in Cleveland, OH, stating you have won a bundle of money and you may cash the check to use for payment of processing fees?  We got the check today (Feb 3) with instructions to do all this by Feb 2.  We would have received it about a week ago, but our mail is being forwarded to us from home.  Golly, I think we just missed out on our fortune.

Anyway, I can't figure out what the scam is.  The very legitimate looking letter has a note:  UPON CASHING THIS CHECK WITHOUT USING IT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PAYING YOUR PROCESSING FEE WILL RESULT IN LEGAL ACTION.

The letter comes from Richmond Hill, Ontario, with the correct amount of postage .93 and no postmark.  I checked the bank on the Internet and one is listed with the address given, but with a different phone number.  There is also a number to call K&G Funds, so we did.  A little voice at the end of the voice mail informs the caller the mail box is full and can take no more messages.

And yes, our total payout is $192,850.00 which will be paid to us from the "Lottery Agent in charge of our winnings."  They even give us a lottery ticket number and a reference number.

Once in a while I have bought lottery tickets for stocking stuffers at Christmas for our adult children and their spouses.  And I haven't done that in a couple of years, maybe more.

Does anyone have an idea where they should be reported, or what we should do?   I am very sure it's some sort of scam.  This isn't your typical letter from a Nigerian down on his luck.  It looks REAL.  I also assume mailing it from Canada may mean they aren't within the legal jurisdiction of U.S. authorities.

This little voice keeps telling me, "cash the check", but if you know Norman you know he doesn't take idiotic risks just to see what might happen.  And besides, the check is made out to him.

Sue Hovey