[Vision2020] Wrong about the Bible: Slavery

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Feb 3 11:13:36 PST 2007

Dear J,

I thought you knew by now that I have never proposed that we should
live by the Bible. I'm only trying to get people to read it more
carefully, so they don't get taken in by preachers and politicians
who want the rest of us to be forced to live by it---like Doug Wilson.

Did Jesus do away with the "old things"? "Do not think that I have
come to abolish the law or the prophets..." (Matthew 5:17). It was
the Pharisee Paul who invented the idea that by his death Jesus had
done away with the Jewish law.

But Jesus never objected to slavery, as I have already shown below.
Neither did Paul.

Ralph

[Vision2020] Wrong about the Bible: Slavery

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:14:30 PST 2007

Killing people for adultery, cutting off the hand that steals, laying
[lying] with
someone not your spouse could get you killed...the list is endless.
Are you
saying these things should be done today as well just because they are
mentioned in the Bible somewhere?  Are you even suggesting that
slavery be
allowed today?

Thought Jesus' death did away with all the old things?  Maybe I'm wrong.

J  :]