[Vision2020] Ethicist says B.C. blood feud may save children and Jehovah's Witness parents

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 21:07:50 PST 2007

I don't know what to think about this, actually.  As a person with
beliefs that some people might consider really strange, I can sympathize
with a belief in something that doesn't coincide with the average
persons beliefs.

However, there is the actual harm that can happen to people if they
don't get blood transfusions in certain instances.  I have no problems
with a person refusing life-saving medical aid for themselves if they
are making the choice with good knowledge of the consequences, but I
don't like it when there are children involved who probably don't have
as good a grasp on things.  I'm not a big fan of religious
indoctrination for children anyway, even if it's my particular spiritual
beliefs involved.  I'd rather people walked into their religion with
their eyes open and their minds uncoerced, regardless of their age.

On the other hand, if the motive is for the children to remain undefiled
spiritually by the practice according to their beliefs, then I can't
really fault them for that as a motivation.  I think this is just one
case where the state has to step in for the good of all to protect the
rights of the children.

As for Christ Church being dangerous, I don't really believe that.  I've
seen no indications that they want to do more than simply influence a
lot of people with their beliefs, or convert people who can be
converted.  They haven't tried to pass any laws that I know of that I
find particularly troublesome, at least as far as physical danger to my
person is involved.

Paul