[Vision2020] Tearing Down of The Lies

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 1 18:36:54 PST 2007

First, thanks Tom for providing the link to this trash...em, I mean booklet.
  Secondly, I thought it might be interesting to go through it, bit by bit
and see if there is ANY one out there that takes this the way Wilson is NOW
putting it out there as being.  I will be adding my comments.  Read them -
don't, I don't care.  But at least there will be one person taking an active
role in tearing this crap apart.

First up, page one:

The South has long carried the stigma of racism and bigotry The fact that
slavery ended
abruptly because the South lost the War serves to reinforce this common
stereotype. For this
reason, most Southerners take little pride in their nation's role in the War
Between the States.
The only thing they can boast about is how well they fought — but they are
not allowed to
defend the cause itself. They have been told that they cannot talk of
principle or speak of
righteousness. The institution of slavery has so blackened the Southern
position that nothing
about the South can be viewed as good or right. Slavery is considered to be
such a wicked
practice that it alone is sufficient to answer the question of which side
was right in that
unfortunate war. The fact that the South practiced slavery is enough to
cause many moderns
to feel they do not even have to listen to the various biblical and
constitutional arguments
that swirled around that controversy. Consequently, to have a closed mind on
this issue is to
be cloaked in virtue.

Wilson says that the Southern folks "take little pride in their nation's
role in the War Between the States."  Ok - so WHAT nation would that be,
Wilson - the South or the UNITED STATES?  And if the Southerners were
supposed to be proud - of WHAT should they be proud?  The fact that they
held slave ownership as a right, the fact that so many/most of them abused
those slaves, that they decided to susceed over the slave/state's rights
issue?  WHAT?

"How could men have supported slavery? The question is especially difficult
when we
consider that these were men who lived in a pervasively Christian culture.
We have all heard
of the heartlessness — the brutalitites, immoralities, and cruelties — that
were supposedly
inherent in the system of slavery. We have heard how slave families were
broken up, of the
forcible rape of slave women, of the brutal beatings that were a
commonplace, about the
horrible living conditions, and of the unrelenting work schedule and
back-breaking routine
— all of which go together to form our impression of the crushing oppression
which was
slavery in the South. The truthfulness of this description has seldom been
challenged."

"supposedly inherent in the system of slavery....The truthfulness of this
description has seldom been challenged."???  What, like it never really
happened?  So the stories of the slaves themselves as well as the slave
OWNERS is not good enough for you?  You, who was born YEARS after the fact,
have the authority and audacity to claim the rapes/killings/maimings did NOT
occur?  And yet last night's diatribe you specifically stated you'd advocate
excommunication of a church member you found out did this type of thing.  A
bit of a confusion there.  Did it/didn't it happen?  Or does it depend on
your audiance as to whether or not you accept the facts?

"The point of this small booklet is to establish that this impression is
largely false. It is
important to note, however, that the impression is not entirely false. The
truth is, Southern
slavery is open to criticism because it did not follow the biblical pattern
at every point. Some
of the state laws regulating slavery could not be defended biblically (the
laws forbidding the
teaching of reading and writing, for example). One cannot defend the abuse
some slaves had
to endure. None can excuse the immorality some masters and overseers
indulged in with
some slave women. The separation of families that sometimes occurred was
deplorable.
These were sad realities in the Southern system."

Ok - HERE's my favorate part:  "The point of this small booklet is to
establish that this impression is largely false."  WHERE in all that is
holy, green and alive, does it say "The point of this booklet is to refute
Paul Hill and his anti-abortion movement?"  Huh?  WHERE!!!?

And you notice, almost right away, Wilson back-tracks just a mite by stating
"One cannot defend the abuse (of) some slaves...These were sad realities in
the Southern system."  So, again, did it occur or didn't it?  Seems to me,
not even in your "wisdom" can you make up your mind on this issue.

"Our purpose here is not to defend any such practices — where and when they
occurred. We
have no interest in defending the racism (in both the North and the South)
which was often
seen as the basic justification for the system, and we do in fact condemn it
most heartily.1
But the question still needs to be asked, "How widespread were these
instances of unbiblical
and ungodly treatment on the part of Southern slave holders?" We have
condemned such
abuses, but were they commonplace or exceptional?"

Again, he is not --- that's ***N O T*** --- stating that the purpose of this
book is to refute Paul Hill, et al.  Absolutely NOT.

"Our concern is first to lay out certain biblical principles, and then turn
to facts which are
seldom addressed in public, though they are not altogether unknown. An
accurate
representation of the nature of Southern slavery has yet to be widely
disseminated. And as a
consequence, there has been a great deal of falsehood paraded about in the
pretense of truth.
The South has been stigmatized and slandered, and generations have been
misled over the
true nature of the "peculiar institution" and, as a consequence, they have
not understood the
true nature of the South in general. We must know the truth about slavery.
We have no
concern to whitewash the sins of the South — or the North, for that matter.
Where there issin, let us freely confess and forsake it. But because we have
resolved to abandon sin, this
must include the sin of believing a lie."

He specifically states here that his purpose is to lay out an "accurate
representation of the nature of Southern slavery has yet to be widely
disseminated."  Again, I BEG YOU TO SHOW ME WHERE ABORTION IS INVOLVED IN
THE WRITING OF THIS TRASH?!!!!

Well, that's the end of page one...the page Wilson specifically stated
covered the reason for his little black book of lies.  Anyone - ANY one -
see abortion or Paul Hill even mentioned?

Didn't think so.

Now, to be fair and to shut the mouths of his dogs, on page two through four
1/2, Doug does go into a bit of a history and JERRY FALWELL (NOT Paul Hill!)
and "lack of historical understanding (and how it) was harmful in two ways —
and in both ways the integrity of God's Word was attacked. The first was the
result of the attempt by evangelicals to portray the pro-life movement as a
modern form of abolitionism."

He goes on to present "But we mentioned that the harm was two-fold. The
embarrassment of evangelicals over the plain teaching of the Bible can be
put to an adept use by those in rebellion against God. Dr. Jerry Falwell was
once in a television debate with a liberal Episcopalian bishop. Sad to say,
the liberal bishop mauled Dr. Falwell badly. They were debating an issue
like abortion or sodomy, and Falwell was maintaining the biblical position,
and the bishop responded by saying yes, but the Bible allows for slavery."

Now HERE he suddenly equates the two topics; however - notice how he says
"an issue like abortion or sodomy"....like he's not sure just which was
being discussed.  THEN, he goes on to talk about a dance that involved
homosexual issues and...well here -

"One time a man was handing out tracts at a gay and lesbian dance. Those
attending the dance
did not appear to be pleased, and someone apparently called a liberal
Methodist pastor to
come and deal with him. He came down, and in the course of the discussion,
the Christian
said that Leviticus condemns homosexuality as an abomination. The liberal
pastor responded
by saying yes, but the Old Testament allowed for slavery. The Christian
responded by saying
yes, it certainly did. "So what's your point?"

Notice that ABORTION is not even remotely mentioned in this portion.  It is
about HOMOSEXUAL issues, NOT abortion or Paul Hill.

He goes on:

"If those who hate the Word of God can succeed in getting Christians to be
embarrassed by
any portion of the Word of God, then that portion/will continually be
employed as a
battering ram against the/godly principles that are currently under attack.
In our day, three of
the principle issues are abortion, feminism, and sodomy. If we respond to
the "embarrassing
parts" of Scripture by saying, "That was then, this is now," we will quickly
discover that
liberals can play that game even more effectively than embarrassed
conservatives. Paul
prohibited eldership to women? That was then, this is now. Moses condemned
sodomy? That
was then, this is now."

Again, abortion is used as a perfunctory secondary issue, the main one being
HOMOSEXUALITY.  If anything, he should have said last night that the issue
really revolved around the homosexual and sodomy issues, NOT abortion and
THAT is what prompted the writing of this funky stuff.  Why he picked up on
that one (abortion) and then tried to defend himself by using Paul Hill when
the guy is NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE BLOODY BOOK! is beyond me.

Comments?  Yeah, bet there will be.

J  :]