[Vision2020] Pastor Wilson is as slippery as ever

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Feb 1 16:43:14 PST 2007

The easiest thing for Wilson to have done, of course, would have been to not
ever write the booklet.    I have spent 25 years studying theology,
Scripture, and apologetics, and I can't imagine the effort involved in
attempting to defend the Bible by way of proclaiming the harmony and mutual
affection of slavery.  (And its health care benefits).  It was vile,
dishonest, and as tortured an attempt to defend the Bible as I could
imagine.

Since he did write it, though, the easiest thing to do at that point would
be to realize that he blew it so colossally, and on so many levels, that
only one course of action would work.  It wasn't a mystery, or shouldn't
have been, that only deep personal and spiritual reflection, followed by a
public apology and repair, would be sufficient to undo the damage.

Then he could have done the next easy and obvious thing:  Preach the Gospel.
  That's what ministers do.  They model, in words and in actions, Jesus'
message of reconciliation.  They take care to present the Gospel in all
honesty, in all humility, to all humanity.  And, as Francis of Assisi wrote,
they even use words when they have to -- words of hope, peace, truth and
sacrifice, with nary a word about Trinitarian skylarking.

But no.

The hardest thing for Wilson to do would be to try to defend the morass he's
been in and the slop that brought it about, and he evidently ran right to
it.  Perhaps that's why it took nearly two years to orchestrate his defense.

I appreciate Nick's comments about the evening.  Me, I would have found it
exhausting to follow Wilson's efforts . . .

keely