[Vision2020] The Seeds are Sown for Moscow's Culture War

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 20:57:50 PST 2007

nickgier at adelphia.net wrote:
> As I conclude Part One of this series, I will only note, because I cannot fully explain, what I call "The Navy connection." Jim Wilson, Christ Church elders Dale Courtney and Patch Blakely are retired naval officers.  (There are undoubtedly more.) Jim Wilson brought Doug Busby out from Annapolis and he now is pastor at Pullman's Evangelical Free Church, estranged from Christ Church because of the crisis explained above.  Douglas Wilson and Michael Lawyer, Wilson's administrative assistant and Christ Church elder, met on a submarine during the early 1970s.  We know that the Air Force Academy is a veritable den of conservative Christians.  Does the Naval Academy also have its fair share?

When I was there 20 years ago, there were quite a few conservative
Christians but they actually weren't very evangelical.  They kept a low
profile for the most part, and were very careful not to let their
religious bias  affect their leadership roles.  They were also
outnumbered by the Fort Lauderdale vacationing crowd that tried every
year to get the most arrests at Spring Break, so I wouldn't go so far as
to label the academy as being overtly Christian or anything.  Or maybe
those guys were just the most vocal of the two groups.

What the mix is like these days, I have no clue.

Paul