[Vision2020] re: (no subject)

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 22 22:56:57 PST 2007

This will be my last response to you, Jeff. Apparently you’ve read the Gary Crabtree
manual on how to make friends and influence people and I don’t have much time or use
for insult laden rants this holiday season.

First, the suggestions that I committed a “breach of academic ethics” in my comments on
Crabtree’s post and “academic dishonesty” in my report of your views about logic and
philosophy are over the top and just plain irresponsible on your part. If I thought that
anyone of significance took the time to read your posts, I’d demand an apology.
This isn’t the academy; it is a public forum. Also, you’re wrong on a number of points.

You admit that Crabtree’s statements (one of which turns out not to be his statement) are
“Pure sarcasm.” In sarcasm one means the opposite of what one says. If I were to say:

(3) AS IF economists had no sense of humor

you would be entitled to think that I intended to convey that economists had no sense of
humor. If I were to say, sarcastically:

(4) Why the very notion that Harkins would tell a lie is preposterous

you would be right to feel offended.

By uttering (4) I wouldn’t have said that you were a liar – but I would have implied it.
Or are you willing to allow me the privilege of making claims like (4) and calling it a
“breach of academic ethics” should you accuse me of insulting you?

The only other things I said were that (1) and (2) were ambiguous as to whether
Crabtree meant to make a claim about ALL scientists – which is absurd – or SOME –
which is trivially true and not worth mentioning. If you look at the posts other than mine,
you’ll see that the conclusion that I arrived at is a reasonable one.

Second, you are right. You did not SAY that logic was not a science. Nor did you SAY
that economics was more of a science than logic. You merely IMPLIED both. Let me