[Vision2020] Simple solution to domestic partner health coverage?

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 00:49:33 PST 2007

Vizzers,

Isn't there a simple solution to all the hubbub surrounding proposed domestic partner health coverage for members of the Moscow local government as well as at the University of Idaho?  Can't these entities - without specifically listing this in their own benefits guide - just offer health plans from Blue Cross, etc. that as part of their business practice offer domestic partner coverage?  I'm no constitutional lawyer, but it seems to me that if a multinational insurance company already offers benefits for domestic partners and that if an Idaho local or state entity offers this policy to their employees, there isn't a legal conflict.  In short, would a company incorporated outside of the state of Idaho be breaking Idaho law by offering what they define as domestic partner benefits to an Idaho state employee and that employee's qualifying (under the company's policy) domestic partner?

-Scott