[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 6.40] CRAPO TEEN DATING VIOLENCE AWARENESS AND PREVENTION RESOLUTION PASSES SENATE

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Dec 18 13:05:25 PST 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:08:17 -0800
Subject: [Spam 6.40] CRAPO TEEN DATING VIOLENCE AWARENESS AND PREVENTION RESOLUTION PASSES SENATE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                 CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202)
224-5150
December 18, 2007                                        Laura Thurston
Goodroe (202) 224-7500

	CRAPO TEEN DATING VIOLENCE AWARENESS AND PREVENTION
RESOLUTION PASSES SENATE
		Bipartisan resolution has support across Idaho

WASHINGTON, D.C.-Annual efforts to raise awareness of the crime of teen
dating violence nationwide received resounding reinforcement late last
night when a Senate Resolution authored by Idaho Senator Mike Crapo
declaring February 4 - 8, 2008, "National Teen Dating Violence Awareness
and Prevention Week" passed the U.S. Senate by Unanimous Consent.

"Dating violence has been shown to be a precursor to adult domestic
violence; it is a cruel reality for many American teens," said Crapo.
"We must teach our children what it means to have healthy relationships
free from harassment, fear and physical and emotional abuse.  This
annual effort helps communities across the nation raise awareness of the
destructive and sometimes fatal dating relationships of our teens, and
promotes prevention of this violence."

Crapo continued, "I'm honored to have spearheaded efforts to raise
awareness here in the United States Senate, and I want to thank all the
organizations in Idaho who partner with me in this important Initiative,
including the Idaho Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence, the
Idaho Council on Domestic Violence and Victim Assistance, the Women's
Center Incorporated of Coeur d'Alene, the Nampa Family Justice Center,
Advocates Against Family Violence of Caldwell and the Lewiston YWCA.
These organizations will continue their efforts to raise awareness of
the importance of healthy dating relationships throughout Idaho, and I
encourage Idahoans to contact one of these organizations and become
involved in this important effort in 2008."

"The Idaho Council on Domestic Violence and Victim Assistance would like
to commend Senator Crapo for his diligent work in procuring a National
Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Week," said Luann Dettman,
Executive Director of the Idaho Council on Domestic Violence and Victim
Assistance.  "Through his efforts we will be able to promote education
and conduct public awareness activities for a better understanding of a
teen victimization that is rarely reported. We must recognize how
prevalent Teen Dating Violence has become and the importance of
providing teens with the knowledge and resources to secure their
safety."

"Through a federal grant, the Idaho Teen Dating Violence Awareness &
Prevention Project, a collaborative project of Idaho's advocacy,
medical, education, legal and youth-based organizations, is working hard
to increase awareness on teen dating violence through a statewide
campaign," said Kelly Miller, Legal Director, Idaho Coalition Against
Sexual & Domestic Violence.  "Teen dating violence prevention is
critical work.  Teens are very aware of the high levels of teen dating
violence in their communities - name calling, derogatory remarks,
demands to be always available through cell phones, isolation from
family, friends or activities, pressure to use alcohol or drugs, or the
pressure to have sexual contact.  As a community, we need to alert teens
and parents on the warning signs of teen dating violence and encourage
families to have a real discussion on strategies for safe dating."

Nicole Crowell with the YWCA of Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston Washington
asked teen attendees of its teen dating violence awareness and
prevention presentation about what was most useful and received the
following responses:
	*  Learning how to get out of an abusive relationship.
	*  How to recognize when someone is in danger of an abusive
relationship.
	*  Knowing that it happens everywhere and you can get help fast.
	*  This resembled a relationship I used to be in.  The
information was helpful.
	*  I feel more empowered to stand up for myself.

This marks the third year that the Senate has passed a resolution
declaring the first full week in February as a time to encourage local,
state and national organizations, governments and private industry to
call attention to the tragedy and pervasiveness of teen dating violence
in our communities.

The crime of teen dating violence, including physical, emotional and
sexual assault, and harassment via texting, email or Instant Messaging
is a reality for many American teenagers.  Like drug abuse, it's a
reality of which many parents are unaware.

*	One in three female teens in a dating relationship report having
feared for their 	safety.
*	30% of teens in a dating relationship have been text-messaged
10, 20, or 30 	times an hour by a partner finding out where they are,
what they are doing or 	who they are with.
*	One in five teens in a serious relationship report having been
hit, slapped or 	pushed by a partner.
*	One in four girls in a relationship report having been pressured
to go further 	sexually than they really wanted.

The Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Initiative was started
by teens through the American Bar Association in 2004.  In 2006, the
first national "week" was declared by Congress and was declared in 2007
as well.  Both years, a number of governors declared proclamations, and
today, the Initiative includes over 35 national, state and local
agencies and organizations as partners.  More information can be found
at:  http://crapo.senate.gov/issues/teen_dating_violence.cfm

				#   #   #

To link directly to this news release, please go to:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=289340

This is generated from an unattended mailbox.  If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov.
Comments sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.