[Vision2020] New Jersey Soon to Join the Civilized World

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Dec 17 11:42:46 PST 2007

Hi Kai,

Let me be very clear: I, along with hundreds of
millions of people around the world, believe that
the death penalty is immoral and that under no
circumstances does a government have the right to kill another human person.

Let me just clarify for consistency something
I've said on this list many times: I do not
consider the human fetus a legal and moral person
until 25 weeks, and I argued for this position at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/abortion.htm.

Nick Gier

At 10:53 AM 12/17/2007, you wrote:
>Nick, You've posted many times about DNA
>exonerating people. What if DNA, along with
>other evidence, proves them guilty? Would that
>be enough to allow execution, or is DNA not
>conclusive enough for that? ----- Original
>Message ----- From: <nickgier at adelphia.net> To:
><vision2020 at moscow.com> Sent: Saturday, December
>15, 2007 12:34 PM Subject: [Vision2020] New
>Jersey Soon to Join the Civilized World >
>Greetings: > > All that it now needs is the
>signature of a pro-abolition governor. I will >
>cheer the day when the U.S. can be removed from
>a list of countries, such > as Iran, North
>Korea, and China, who believe that they have the
>right, > regardless of the reason, to kill human
>persons. > > Nick Gier > > December 15, 2007 >
>Editorial, The New York Times > A Long Time
>Coming > > It took 31 years, but the moral
>bankruptcy, social imbalance, legal >
>impracticality and ultimate futility of the
>death penalty has finally > penetrated the
>consciences of lawmakers in one of the 37 states
>that > arrogates to itself the right to execute
>human beings. > > This week, the New Jersey
>Assembly and Senate passed a law abolishing
>the > death penalty, and Gov. Jon Corzine, a
>staunch opponent of execution, > promised to
>sign the measure very soon. That will make New
>Jersey the > first state to strike the death
>penalty from its books since the Supreme > Court
>set guidelines for the nation’s system of
>capital punishment three > decades ago. > > Some
>lawmakers voted out of principled opposition to
>the death penalty. > Others felt that having the
>law on the books without enforcing it (New >
>Jersey has had a moratorium on executions since
>2006) made a mockery of > their argument that it
>has deterrent value. Whatever the motivation
>of > individual legislators, by forsaking a
>barbaric practice that grievously > hurts the
>global reputation of the United States without
>advancing public > safety, New Jersey has set a
>worthy example for the federal government, > and
>for other states that have yet to abandon the
>creaky, error-prone > machinery of death. > >
>New Jersey’s decision to replace the death
>penalty with a sentence of life > without parole
>seems all the wiser coming in the middle of a
>month that > has already seen the convictions of
>two people formerly on death row in > other
>states repudiated. In one case, the defendant
>was found not guilty > following a new
>trial. > > The momentum to repeal capital
>punishment has been building in New Jersey >
>since January, when a 13-member legislative
>commission recommended its > abolition. The
>panel, which included two prosecutors, a police
>chief, > members of the clergy and a man whose
>daughter was murdered in 2000, cited > serious
>concerns about the imperfect nature of the
>justice system and the > chance of making an
>irreversible mistake. The commission also
>concluded, > quite correctly, that capital
>punishment is both a poor deterrent and >
> [...]

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/ift.htm