[Vision2020] Something More Than Football

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 5 05:53:54 PST 2007

Although many may consider the recent food drive to possess less
significance than the football season, its results reflect a deeper, more
serious concern: apathy.

" . . . a combination of faculty, students and staff of the University of
Idaho raised 10,066 pounds of non-perishable foods to be donated to regional
food banks. Students from Boise State University contributed approximately
1,600 pounds."

Adjustments will be made to the University of Idaho's football program in
attempt to achieve a better result next season.

But, what can be done when evidence reflects that students and citizens
located at our state capital simply do not care?

>From yesterday's (December 4, 2007) UI Argonaut -

---------------------------

UI 'trounces' BSU in ASUI food drive
Written by Christina Lords - Argonaut
Tuesday, 04 December 2007
Senate philanthropy yields more than 10,000 pounds of food; BSU gets 1,600

Community food banks across the nation are struggling to maintain supplies
and some are being forced to use food that is usually reserved for disaster
relief efforts, according to Friday's New York Times. But ASUI's Senate
philanthropy project is trying to make a dent in the shortages on a regional
level.

Community food banks across the nation are struggling to maintain supplies
and some are being forced to use food that is usually reserved for disaster
relief efforts, according to Friday's New York Times. But ASUI's Senate
philanthropy project is trying to make a dent in the shortages on a regional
level.

The last 1,000 pounds of food from the ASUI/ASBSU food drive competition was
picked up from the ASUI office Wednesday, after a combination of faculty,
students and staff of the University of Idaho raised 10,066 pounds of
non-perishable foods to be donated to regional food banks. Students from
Boise State University contributed approximately 1,600 pounds. The winner of
the competition was announced at the UI/BSU game in Boise on Nov. 17.

"When the guy came to pick it all up, it was more food than could fit into
his truck," said Senate Pro Tempore Garrett Holbrook. "Nobody thought we had
a chance, especially (competing) against Boise and a big metropolitan area
with a huge population. How could Moscow, Idaho have a chance? And we
trounced them; we really put it to 'em."

Holbrook said the competition would not have been as successful without the
support of student organizations. The hope was to create a competition
between student groups so more people would be motivated to donate, he said.

The student groups that collected the most food were rewarded with a cash
prize. The Student Alumni Relations Board won with 3,500 pounds of food and
was awarded $300. The Air Force ROTC won $200 for second place, and the
Residence Hall Association came in third for $100. Student groups had to
collect at least 100 pounds of food to qualify for the prizes.
"(ASUI is) very in touch with our student body," Holbrook said. "We knew
about events student organizations were already having. I think this really
shows we know what's going on. In a matter of three days, 8,000 pounds came
in from student organizations. We know we couldn't have done this without
those organizations."

The ASBSU senators promised to beat UI's 10,000 plus pounds next year,
Holbrook said.
"They said they are going to come up here and take our trophy away," he
said. "They were very upset they lost so poorly."
Holbrook promised the trophy would look much different the next time the
Broncos see it  next year.
"(ASUI) President (Jon) Gaffney and I have been concocting a plan to make it
much more Vandalized," he said. "We're hoping to get more students involved
by giving it to the Art Department to try to come up with some new design
ideas."

This is a way to show students that they are capable to make a difference in
their community, he said. It is also a way for the Senate to take on a
volunteer project, he said.
"What we do is more than the bills we pass and the money we spend," Holbrook
said. "This shows us how to help within our community and within the state
of Idaho."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

"If not us, who?