[Vision2020] shoveling snow into the road

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Mon Dec 3 13:39:57 PST 2007

Vizzz Peeps,

Donovan is partially correct, and had he read the posting by Stephanie
Kalasz he would see what I mean.

Inside city limits, a property owner doesn't technically own to the
center of the road.  As a matter of fact, a lot of people don't own the
lawn and sidewalk that city code requires them to take care of.  These
are platted streets that become part of the city's system.

In the county, it's a little different.  Some roads are deeded, and the
property owner owns to the edge of the right-of-way (generally 50 feet).
Most roads, however, are not deeded, but they are public roads through
prescriptive use.  In other words, since people have historically been
driving on them they are public roads.  These roads that exist through
prescriptive use, while owned to the center by adjacent property owners,
are not taxed.  They are referred to as "waste acreage" since the local
highway district has jurisdiction over them.

The highway district then maintains these roads through funds collected
-- for the most part -- from property tax, license fees, and fuel tax
(as well as a few smaller other funding sources).  Some of those funds
are actually transferred to the city (because all city residents live
within a highway district and pay highway district taxes) for road
(street) maintenance as well.

As far as the shovelling of snow into the street, I agree with Paul's
initial grumble.  For years it always tweaked me that I could spend all
day plowing snow on my route and end up with some nice clean roads,
leaving as little berm as possible in front of peoples' driveways.  Then
I'd make my way back and someone has pushed all their snow out of their
driveway into the road.  I've always made it a point (since I've had a
driveway of my own to maintain) to shovel to the sides rather than into
the street.  I've never understood why people wouldn't do that.

DC