[Vision2020] Craig may resign

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Aug 31 07:47:30 PDT 2007

Craig May Resign, Republicans Say

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 31, 2007

Filed at 9:42 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Idaho Sen. Larry Craig is considering resigning,
Republican officials said Friday, after days of public and private
pressure stemming from his arrest in June in a police undercover
operation at an airport men's room.

Craig pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct on Aug. 1, and while he
has since said he did nothing wrong, the episode has roiled the
Republican party and produced numerous calls for him to step down.

As a measure of the pressure Craig faces, party officials said a
statement had been drafted at Republican Party headquarters calling
for the third-term senator to resign. It was not issued, these
officials said, in response to concerns that it might complicate
quiet efforts under way to persuade the 62-year-old lawmaker to give
up his seat.

Any resignation would clear the way for Gov. C.L. ''Butch'' Otter, a
Republican, to name a replacement who would serve until the end of
Craig's current term in 2009. Lt. Gov. James Risch and Rep. Mike
Simpson were among the possible replacements, according to the GOP
officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not
authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Craig has not made any public statements about his case since an
appearance earlier this week in Boise, Idaho, in which he said he had
done nothing wrong. ''I am not gay. I never have been gay,'' he added
emphatically.

He said any additional comment would be posted on his official Web
site, where the only reference to the incident as of Friday morning
was a text of the statement he read before the television cameras.

Craig, 62, served in the House before winning his first Senate term
in 1990, and compiled a strongly conservative voting record.

He was arrested on June 11 by an undercover police officer in a
Minneapolis airport men's room who said the senator had engaged in
conduct ''often used by persons communicating a desire to engage in
sexual conduct.''

Minutes after he was arrested for lewd conduct, Craig denied
soliciting for sex, saying ''I'm not gay. I don't do these kinds of
things,'' according to an audio tape released by police on Thursday.

He denied that he had used foot and hand gestures to signal interest
in a sexual encounter. The officer, Sgt. Dave Karsnia, accused the
three-term senator of lying and grew exasperated with his denials.

''Embarrassing, embarrassing. No wonder why we're going down the
tubes,'' Karsnia said.

In the police interview, Craig, 62, never admitted doing anything
wrong and said his actions had been misinterpreted. However, Karsnia
wrote in his report that the gestures were consistent with efforts to
find a sexual partner in the men's room.

Craig later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct,
which he now calls a mistake.

More Republicans distanced themselves from Craig on Thursday. Sen.
John Ensign of Nevada, who chairs the GOP's senatorial campaign
committee, stopped short of calling on him to resign but suggested
strongly that he should.

''I wouldn't put myself hopefully in that kind of position, but if I
was in a position like that, that's what I would do,'' Ensign told
The Associated Press in his home state. ''He's going to have to
answer that for himself.''

The party's Senate leadership had previously called for the ethics
committee to investigate, and on Wednesday took the highly unusual
measure of asking him to give up his seniority in committee
positions. Craig complied.

On the tape, Craig and the arresting officer can be heard arguing
over what happened in the men's room minutes earlier. Craig
acknowledges that the men's feet bumped but says nothing improper
happened.

''Did we bump? Yes, I think we did. You said so. I don't disagree
with that,'' Craig said.

But Craig disputes the officer's account that he swept his hand under
the stall next to him in an apparent effort to advance the encounter.
They even disagree whether Craig used his right hand or his left hand.

Craig said he was merely trying to pick up a piece of paper -- an
account the officer disputes.

''I'm telling you that I could see, so I know that's your left hand.
Also I could see a gold ring on this finger, so that's obvious it was
the left hand,'' Karsnia tells Craig.

''Well we can dispute that,'' Craig says. ''I'm not going to fight
you in court. I reached down with my right hand to pick up the
paper.''

Karsnia said in a police report that he recognized Craig's hand
gesture as a signal aimed at initiating sex. ''It should be noted
that there was not a piece of paper on the bathroom floor, nor did
Craig pick up a piece of paper,'' he said in the report.

Karsnia, 29, joined the airport police department just out of college
in 2000 and was promoted to sergeant in 2005. Last year, he earned a
master's degree in criminal justice, leadership and education.

------

Associated Press writers Scott Sonner in Reno, Nev., Joshua Freed in
Minneapolis, Todd Dvorak in Idaho and Liz Sidoti in Washington
contributed to this report.