[Vision2020] Craig

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 23:10:40 PDT 2007

Certainly, if he rides out the storm long enough he may be able to survive the term.  However, would he be as effective and as good for Idaho?  I agree that he has the contacts, but what I am saying is that he in essence loses his power by being stripped of his senior committee assignments. I agree with you that he will probably do well in lobbying or maybe even at some "think tank".  And I do agree that it hurts Idaho that he loses those committee assignments.  But who is "tossing" him?  None of us told him to take part in this behavior, he did it on his own.  Did he hurt us (Idahoans) by doing it?  I think so, and it sounds like you do also.  Personally, I could care less if he is gay, lesbian, bi, or straight.  What I don't like is seeing Idaho on CNN in the light that it usually is -negative.  Idaho is a great place, full of great public land and it hurts to see us portrayed badly.  That said, I don't think his behavior will keep tourists away.  Maybe it's Idaho's ego
 that has been hurt.

  I agree with you that between Risch and Simpson, Risch would win.

  With Kempthorne, my thinking is that a Federal elected position would be higher than governor but Kempthorne ran for Governor after being in DC and the same with Otter, yet it pays less.  Certainly, a Presidential appointment is higher than Gov. yet Andrus ran for Gov after being Sec. Interior.  I still think that if there is a vacancy and Kempthorne wants it, it's his.  I'm not saying he wants it, because I have no idea if he does or not..but I do agree with you that it all depends on his aspirations. I must admit that I know nothing about his ASUI career.

  I have wondered what the outcome would have been if Craig had blamed it all on alcohol or drugs and checked into a rehab facility or even blamed a priest/minister as many before him have done when confronted with a major PR problem. Not that those things don't happen, but to me it sometimes seems too convenient of a way out.

  Donovan, I am glad we could have this civil discussion and exchange of ideas.  Thanks -Tom

Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Tom,

  I don't think Craig will resign or be removed. He will probably be censured by the Senate Ethics Committee, and not seek re-election (for another reason he will say). He will probably go on to be a lobbyist and make a great deal of money. I don't think that Craig is equal to a freshmen Senator. He has a lot of contacts. Many politicians may shun him publicly, but they like him personally, you don't get to be the third most powerful Senator (when his party was in power) by pissing people off. Kicking Craig off committees at the senior level hurts Idaho and the Northwest to a much greater extent than it personally hurts Craig. Idaho has billions in that guy, to toss him for being Gay is STUPID to say the least.

  I think Risch will take the seat in an election. Risch is better known and has won a state wide election before. He also has a lot of power in the state. Simpson could win, but less likely too.

  I think Kempthorne would view the Senate position as a step backwards. His career is not over yet. He could retain a position in the next administration regardless of its political party. He could also be a lobbyist, make contacts, and try a bid for President or Vice President.

  One thing I think about Kempthorne, he likes to jump from political office to political office since he was ASUI President.

  Best,

  Donovan

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Thanks for setting me straight, Donovan.  My theory still holds, regardless of who does the appointing. The fact that Kempthorne has already served as Senator helps him if he wants it.  I think he is more electable than Risch or Simpson. Regardless of who wins the White House, he would be looking for a new job.  He is too young to retire and I believe he loves politics.  He already has the major contacts that are required for fund raising at that level  and there is no learning curve required because he has already done the job.  You can leave a job and come back to it again, it does happen.  I am interested in hearing other theories though, if you have one.  I suppose it could also be possible that Craig won't resign.  However, I believe that there is a lot of ego when you are at that level of elected office, especially when you've been in office for a long time, and maybe rightly so.  So when you are stripped of all of your seniority and are now equal to a freshman
 Senator, it has to hurt.  -Tom

Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:     Tom Ivie,

  Bush has nothing to do with it. Gov. Otter would make the appointment. Kempthorne was already a Senator, he left it to become Governor.

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  What happens next is Craig begs Bush to appoint Simpson once he resigns since Craig and Risch have no love lost between them, which pretty much takes Risch out of the equation for next Nov.  This theory only holds true if Kempthorne doesn't want the appointment.  If he wants it, it is his.

Chuck Kovis <ckovis at turbonet.com> wrote:   Mr. Falen,

Who is making excuses for Clinton? If Larry Craig ran again in this state -
he would be re-elected. Don't believe me -- have him run again!! Then we
can show the nation what this state is really made of: Bill Sali - Helen
Chenoweth, etc. Hell, the local debate among you Republicans is whether
dog-fighting should be made a felony! What the hell? Fix our roads, get
some money to the University of Idaho like the "big bad liberal Democratic
Washington legislature" gave to WSU) Quit whining. You guys don't know
how to govern from the top all the way to the bottom.

Chuck Kovis

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

Tom & Liz Ivie