[Vision2020] Craig's official statement

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 30 07:48:52 PDT 2007

Donovan,

I said nothing even remotely suggesting that gays do not suffer from
discrimination. In fact, this is why I think that laws protecting gays are not
examples of 'special rights,' contrary to Crabtree's claims. Straight, white
men like me and Gary don't need protection against hate crimes, etc.
Gays and lesbians do.

What I'm saying is that if gays in positions of power, like Craig, were more
honest that that might change. The difference between you and me is
that you think things can't change while I, realizing that our society is a
function of individual choices and actions, believe that they can.

Of course, this might happen a bit quicker if you would speak out against local
pastors who suggest that the death penalty is warranted for gay sex.
Honestly, you have a stange set of beliefs! No doubt you'd say the same
about me, though!

Best, Joe

From: Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com>

Joe,

  Your statement of,  "Second, I think that Donovan is wrong in suggesting that Idaho will not
vote for a gay candidate. I think that most folks in Idaho like Craig and that if he
were honest, they just might vote for him again." is the most arrogant or stupidest thing I ever heard. Turn on your TV Joe! Pick up a newspaper, Idaho was killing Gay people up until the year 2000, even in Liberal Moscow. Gay people cannot even get health benefits in Idaho much less have any chance of getting elected to a state wide office.

  Joe, I think you are just as prejudiced as the right wing Republicans. If Larry Craig was OUT he would never have had a political career, he would be in another state trying to find a niche and a boss that wouldn't fire him for personal behavior. I think that is obvious. I think you are prejudiced because you are only accepting and understanding of gay people if they believe and act as you think they should. You have no idea the type of hell and discrimination that gay men and women have to endure on the daily bases, not just against them, but the violence and discrimination their family and friends also have to endure if they choose to be OUT.

  Reality is, people don't hire and keep gay people, and even having a relative in Idaho up until a few years ago was considered reason to hire you. I think until you are in their shoes, you have no right to judge him or anyone in his position. Joe, if you have your family members harassed and their and your property destroyed on a daily bases for your sexuality, you might consider fibbing too about who you are with on the weekend.

  Best.

  Donovan