[Vision2020] pastoring and Craig

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Aug 29 07:20:32 PDT 2007

I would have liked to have seen something more pastoral in nature on Doug Wilson's blog regarding Larry Craig's problems.  Instead, I read a smug, self-righteous account of Wilson's virtue in not previously having speculated about Craig's sexuality and a breezy condemnation of Craig's "flaming" (get it? "flaming"???) hypocrisy.

Doug Wilson is not Larry Craig's pastor.  In fact, I'm inclined to assert that he's not ANYONE'S pastor.  But if he chooses to insert himself into the discussion, portraying himself as a keeper of knowledge and a sage searched out by legitimate journalists, he ought to remember that it is as a pastor of one of Moscow's biggest churches that we see him.  A true shepherd's heart wouldn't require his having to spin it as a pastor might; a true shepherd would offer wise commentary and counsel because he knew nothing else.  But by using "light in the loafers" and "flaming," and by exhibiting not an iota of pastoral restraint or empathy, he once again missed the mark.

This time, "the mark" was  as wide as a country barn.  If Wilson can't  shoot his pastoral  arrows  any better than that,  maybe it's time to  lay  those weapons down.

keely