[Vision2020] music and books

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 20:11:37 PDT 2007

Tunes:

1.  Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack

2.  The Matrix soundtrack

3.  O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack

4.  Kittie - Oracle, Spit.  I really like their cover of Pink Floyd's
"Run Like Hell".

5.  Queen of the Damned soundtrack

6.  Asian Kung Fu Generation

7.  Various ladies of JPop: Ayumi Hamasaki, Maki Goto, Aya Matsuura,
Boa, Aya Kimiki, and (and I apologize for this) Morning Musume.

Music for me is mostly utilitarian.  Some of the various soundtracks are
great for when I just want to enjoy it and space out.  Kittie is perfect
for getting in the mood to program in a frenzy.  Same goes for some of
the songs on some of the other soundtracks I listen to.  The JPop is
great for getting an ear for the Japanese language and for blotting out
the sounds around me when I want to program at a sedate pace.  It's also
a different set of beats that is not in-your-face angry, which I enjoy
now and then.

Reads

1.  The Algebraist, Iain M Banks - As always for this author, very
different and very well written.  Not for everyone, maybe, but then what is?

2.  The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin - I'm just
about to read what I have of them over so I can read A Feast for Crows.
I know I'm behind on this series, and I really want to find out how Arya
is doing.

3.  Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton - Good sweeping
science fiction.  MorningLightMountain is one of the best aliens I've
run across in years.

4.  The Tenth Planet trilogy (I forget the author's names) - Fun science
fiction read about attacking aliens who live on a planet in our system
that hasn't been discovered yet because of its extreme elliptical orbit.

5.  If I can find the time and the motivation, I'm going to read
Gurdjieff's Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson.  Why? Because I've heard
great things about Gurdjieff and want to see what his writing is like.
Like as not I'll give up halfway through, but you never know - it might
really resonate with me and I won't be able to put it down.

6.  I plan to finish the archives of MegaTokyo, an online web comic, and
finally get caught up.

Other Cool Discoveries:

1.  Lobot's disco dance from Robot Chicken Star Wars on YouTube
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQwrF6oEiZ4).  I just watch that (it
only lasts a few seconds) and my mood immediately improves.

2.  Avatar - The Last Airbender is a fantastic show.  At least, the
first couple of DVDs are - I'm still going through them.

3.  The original Castle Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny work great on
Dosbox on linux.   "Mein Lieben!"

4.  If you're a gamer and you don't already know about it somehow, check
out www.penny-arcade.com.

5.  I just got Beryl and Emerald (a 3D desktop interface that rocks)
working on Debian linux.  I had to compile from source, but what the
hell.  It was worth it.  Buggy, sure, but the effects are great and it
actually helps me be more productive - an added bonus I didn't expect.
It's got a 3D spinning cube with your virtual desktops on it, it shows
active previews when you mouse over the minimized icon on your task bar
or hit alt-tab (even movies that are playing), and you have the benefit
of full transparency when you need it.  I can just click on the title
bar to see through a window to what is underneath it.  The effects used
to minimize or close an application are great.  When I close a window it
burns itself up in flames with smoke and sparks.  I'm sure it will get
annoying soon enough, but then I'll just turn that effect off or choose
another one.

Paul