[Vision2020] music and books

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Aug 27 17:19:28 PDT 2007

OK, it seems that it might be time to kick off the Summer of 2007 "Here's What I'm Reading, Here's What I'm Listening To."

Tunes:

1.  Still love The Raconteurs . . .

2.  Just discovered The Hives

3.  Blondie's "Auto American" is just as outstanding as it was 25 years ago

4.  Still, always, the seminal Christian punk band Crashdog

5.  Gladys Knight and the Pips can still bring me to tears

Reads:

1.  "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" -- fascinating on many different levels

2.  "Saving Fish From Drowning" -- ditto

3.  "The Redemption of Love" -- theology, feminism, and economics, a feast for . . . well, me

4.  "Hunt Club" -- mystery writer John Lescroart, the best in the business

5.  "We Are Your Sisters" -- a history of African-American women in the U.S., an invaluable collection of bios, essays, and scholarship

Other Cool Discoveries:

1.  Pepperwood Groves Viognier -- bliss in a glass on a hot summer day

2.  "Christians for Cannabis," a pro-pot website from a Christian perspective.  Who knew?

3.  Cavendish Greek Seasoning -- thank you, Joan Opyr!

4.  Chacos sandals (V1 Colorado terranos, please)

5.  TalkBackTees.com -- great liberal T-shirts for about 10 bucks

"Patriarchy and its abuses, including the alienation of woman and man from each other, resulted from the material demands of life outside of the Creator's abundance,  a state God never intended human beings to experience in the first place ... Redemption means turning over the order of things in the fallen world."
-- Dr. Carrie Miles