[Vision2020] and speaking of religion in public places

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 21:45:46 PDT 2007

Sue,

  I invite you to read the Declaration of Independence in its entirety and come to the conclusion that the Constitution and nation is not derived and linked to God in its creation. And as I stated earlier, it is not possible for someone to believe in God given unalienable rights if they don't believe in a God.

  I believe we studied a different version of US History. As I was taught, the US was still at odds with Britain for many decades after the Revolutionary War. The British attacked our ships, our ports, our land, took our men and forced them into combat against their enemies. They even tried to kill several of our Presidents and ransacked Washington DC and burned down the White House.

  I don't believe that the Constitution is the word of God, as you mistakenly seem to present my view. But I believe the men that wrote it were attempting to put his word in it.

  Best,

  Donovan

Sue Hovey <suehovey at moscow.com> wrote:
          While a great many people believe in the Bible as the inerrant word of God, I have NEVER before met anyone who believed the U.S. Constitution was somehow some sort of later revelation.  Certainly the Constitution promotes the ideas of equality, unalienable rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from an unfair trial far beyond any hint of those freedoms that might be found in the Bible.  That's probably because they aren't found there.

  Few women will tell you the Bible embraces equality between male and female.  The Constitution as a living document may reach that point someday. The framers of the Constitution blew it at the outset when they invited John Adams and neglected to invite Abagail.

  And those "fat, balding men" were often found to be hiding from each other--Adams and Jefferson did a bit of that; but not one of them was hiding from British authorities--when they started writing the Constitution the war was long since over and the United States of America was an entity under its own rule.

  I have long believed, and I think this belief is fairly common: separate the Constitution from Christianity, and you still have a Constitution, capable of being upheld and believed in by any citizen--Christian, agnostic, or athiest.  Their religious ties may be entirely separate from their belief in the legitimacy of the Constitution. Neither does the Constitution depend for its legitimacy on the idea it is tied to religious faith.

  And Donovan's argument otherwise "is a message of sound and fury signifying nothing."

  Sue