[Vision2020] and speaking of religion in public places

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 20:38:43 PDT 2007

Joe,

  You cannot take the peanuts out of peanut butter and still call it peanut butter. The Constitution is what it is. But it is a meaningless piece of paper without the backing of some divine reference in its creation. Everything must have a foundation in something higher than it. Your ownership of your house is backed by a paper owned by the city, backed by the county, who is backed by the state, who is backed by the federal government, which are backed by the Constitution, which is backed by, what? Well, the ruler the of the Universe. It has to be, otherwise it is just a piece of paper.

  The Declaration of Independence, makes very clear that the Constitution is established on clear belief in a God, and based on the principles of the rights written by men that believed in Christianity. Christian belief was the only concept of God they believed in.

  Not writing the name Christ in the document does not mean they excluded that which they believed He represented in government, respecting your fellow humans, doing unto your neighbors which you wish done unto you.

  The Truth is in the Constitution, and God is the Truth. I see the Truth, don't you?

  Best,

  Donovan

Joe Campbell <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:
  Dear Donovan,

You are confusing INFLUENCE with ESSENSE. No doubt Christianity influenced the founding fathers. That does not mean that Christianity is essential to the basic principles of the Constitution.

Note that the terms ‘Christianity’ and ‘Christian’ do not appear in the Constitution.

I can agree with you that only God may grant the rights afforded to men, although saying this is no different to me than saying that men have rights since God is the cause of everything (cf. Jefferson and Franklin). That this God is the ‘Christian God’ suggests that before Christianity there were no rights, which makes a complete mystery out of what Jesus was up to.

Anyone who needs to qualify God by putting the term ‘Christian’ in front does not really understand God, IMHO. Remember that I'm a Christian when you think about what this might mean.

Best, Joe

Message: 4