[Vision2020] and speaking of religion in public places

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 09:15:31 PDT 2007

I think the point that Mr. Sali is missing is that the Founding Fathers
were escaping religious persecution themselves.  Thus, they had the
presence of mind to think past their own situation and to construct a
government where no religion can have undue influence upon it - even
their own.

Mr. Sali needs to think beyond the present.  When he says he wants
Congress to pray to the God of the Bible, he means HIS God of the
Bible.  What if a Christian sect that he despises takes power?  What if
other nations declare us a Christian country and decide to declare holy
war upon us?  What happens if someone who is not a member of that faith
is drafted?  He or she is put in the curious position of being forced to
fight for a God they don't believe in.  All this crosses the (in my
opinion) very clear line that has been drawn very carefully by people
who were very aware of what they were doing.  All so Mr. Sali can feel
righteous while at work.  Is he incapable of praying alone without guidance?

It's my belief that the Founding Fathers would vote against such a
measure if they were still with us.  To follow his line of thinking is
to disrespect the ability they had to look beyond themselves when
setting up our government.  Our greatness as a country today is a direct
result of that wisdom.

Paul