[Vision2020] Baudrillard: The Childishness of Adults

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:57:48 PDT 2007

All:

Pardon my indulgence in posting about a writer/thinker many will find of no
interest.  But given that all of my "adult" life I have been astonished by
the fact that the behavior of adults in positions of power in the world
appears to exhibit some of the most dangerous and destructive examples of
"childishness," the following quote from Baudrillard, from "Simulacra and
Simulations," hit home.  Again, this strikes me as brilliant
socio-psychoanalysis:

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/baudrillard/baudrillard-simulacra-and-simulations.html

The Disneyland imaginary is neither true nor false: it is a deterrence
machine set up in order to rejuvenate in reverse the fiction of the real.
Whence the debility, the infantile degeneration of this imaginary. It's
meant to be an infantile world, in order to make us believe that the adults
are elsewhere, in the "real" world, and to conceal the fact that real
childishness is everywhere, particularly among those adults who go there to
act the child in order to foster illusions of their real childishness.

------

Ted Moffett