[Vision2020] Say What?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 21:30:02 PDT 2007

I'm taking it too literally, then?  That still leaves the problem of why
we should be punished for our need to overreach, when we were presumably
made that way by the being that is taking us to task for it.  In the
analogy of Adam and Eve, we couldn't be any more naive than we were when
we chose that path.

I can also understand it if it was a basic answer to the question of why
bad things happen to good people.  It's in our nature to stand upright
and seek out answers in the world (in direct opposition to the rest of
the animal kingdom), which brings us into an awareness of evil and
horror and death and pain and despite.  This may not be intended as a
rebuke for our ambitions, but as a kind of "when you play the big kids,
you're going to get hurt" type of response.

I, for one, would rather be aware of the failings of mankind and the
hopelessness of life than be blissfully unaware of it all.  Your mileage
may vary.

I do appreciate your responses as well.  You always give us much food
for thought.

Paul