[Vision2020] Go TV Free

Kai Eiselein, editor editor at lataheagle.com
Mon Aug 13 10:01:07 PDT 2007

I read the article with interest since I grew up in a "tv free" home.
My friends were aghast that we didn't have tv and often asked if my brother and I got bored. We rarely did, we hunted, fished and read voraciously. My parents didn't care what we read, cereal boxes, books, newspapers, comic books; reading was reading, I even liked reading the dictionary (Still do). To this day I can remember the first novel I read, "The Bronze Man", one of the "Doc Savage" series. I was seven years old and proud as heck. I remember discussing the book with my parents over the dinner table.
There was a downside, as well. The things my brother and I were assigned to read in school were far below our reading levels. Both of us were reading, and comprehending, at a college level in grade school. Luckily, our teachers recognized this and we were allowed more leeway in what we read.
I often got in trouble for reading, for some reason it was frowned upon in many classes, especially in Algebra and PE. I had a fine time explaining why I failed PE to my mother, who was a PE/Health teacher.
On the upside, I didn't need to study as much, because I read my textbooks cover to cover as soon as I got them and was able to stay a step ahead.
The most ironic thing of all was the fact that my father was a media anthropologist and was involved in several tv productions at the local Public Television  station. I think my early experiences at the station, in the studio, quickly dispelled any notion that what was on tv was "real".