[Vision2020] Faith on a Shoestrinig

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 12 18:48:38 PDT 2007

What follows is a posting from a blog titled "The Calm Before the Sand" a
blog maintained by SPC Milo Freeman, on duty in Iraq, and his wife Anne,
currently living/working at her husband's home base in Hessen, Germany.

>From "The Calm Before the Sand" at -

http://calmbeforethesand.blogspot.com/

Faith on a Shoestring

While Milo's been toiling away in the sand and heat, I spent most of this
weekend at a unit family retreat in the mountains. I feel guilty sometimes,
having fun while he's away, but I needed this break. I spent the weekend
hiking, biking, swimming, getting massaged, and attending mandatory seminars
on how to build a healthy marriage. As much fun as I had, I came to dread
those seminar sessions. They were helpful sometimes, but I take offense to
being subjected to extensive Biblical teaching and group prayer at
mandatory, government-funded information sessions. I take offense to being
taught how to "achieve victory in Christ," and that "those who belong to
Christ are already victorious." If I don't belong to Christ, am I not
victorious then?

I was raised in an Evangelical Baptist family, and as I grew up, I began to
chafe at the hypocracy inherant in the beliefs I was raised with. I
questioned, I learned, and I left the church for another path. It's a real
point of contention with my family, so we just don't talk about it. I wonder
if we ever will, or if it's just better this way. Family issues aside, I've
run into even more problems as a "non-Christian" in the military. I know the
chaplain's office is supposed to meet the needs of all, but I can't help
feeling like Christian traditions are being jammed down my throat at almost
every turn. How is it appropriate to recite Bible verses and lead group
prayers at mandatory information briefings? The worst part is that when I
express my discomfort over being placed in such situations, the response of
my Christian counterparts is so often, "Oh please, it's not hurting you
any."

What they don't understand is that it is.

As I mulled these issues over in the travel journal I keep for my
mother-in-law, I wondered how any devout Christian woman would feel in my
shoes. What follows is the best I could do to share my situation.

Let me try to explain where I'm coming from here. You're a military spouse--
imagine your family has been stationed in a country where your religion is
not welcome. The only comparison I can come up with is Islam. Imagine being
stationed in a Muslim country; one where the constitution defines Islam as
the state religion, and a portion of every paycheck is paid to the Church of
Islam. Imagine that a large portion of those Muslims believe that your
religion is the product of Satan, and that you "worship the devil."

Kind of Uncomfortable, huh?

Now imagine that there are no other Christians in your new community, and no
Christian services. The Chaplain's office promises to include everyone, but
they offer only Muslim services because there just aren't enough Christians
in the community to warrant your own service. What's more, they read the
Koran to you at nearly every public event. They spend more time trying to
convert you than helping provide you with spiritual support.

Maybe you consider trying to find other Christians and start a prayer group.
So you ask the Chaplain's office and they promise to email you with info,
but they don't. While you're waiting for your email, you see a vitriolic
letter in the Stars and Stripes. Apparently, some Christians in the next
community started a prayer group at their chapel, and the community is
protesting. Imagine that Muslims in that community refuse to use the same
building as someone of your faith. The letter writer goes on to call
Christianity the product of Satan, and Christians unfit for service in the
Army and the community.

Lonely yet? 'Cause I sure am.

I am living in a community with no other members of my faith. I am
surrounded by people who think my beliefs are either evil or illegitimate.
There are no services, no spiritual support groups, no sympathy. The worst
part of it all is that my husband is no better off than I am. He is a
soldier with no spiritual support network, no spiritual counsel, and no
guidance. He is on his own to deal with his family troubles or his
existential crises. The very people who promise to support him make it
abundantly clear that they support only those whose faith mirrors their own.

I totally understand that Milo and I are in the minority in this community,
and that the chaplaincy has limitations. I can deal with all of that. What I
cannot deal with is all that PLUS being forced to partake in a religion that
I walked away from long ago. I think the chaplaincy serves an important
purpose, and I take comfort in the ability of others to practice their
religion freely. What I take offense to is being required to practice with
them.

All I ask is the same consideration afforded to everyone else.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.