[Vision2020] Trinity Festival protest

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 9 15:24:25 PDT 2007

Hi Again Paul,

Thanks for continuing the discussion, and I apologize for my delay in
responding.  It's summer  :-)

I'd like to clarify, if I might, that my comments were more of a general
nature than addressing the specific Trinity Fest protest, about which I
really didn't know much at all:  I don't know who organized it, although I
certainly agree with the ideas expressed in the flyer Rose quoted on her
blog; and I don’t know who participated or why the night of 8/3 was chosen.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way . . .

I guess I look at things differently than you seem to:  I *do* think this
community needs to stand strong against the lunacy of the Christ Church
hierarchy and their worldview, including how they want to remake our local
community.

While Christ Church may be happy about the image of our community they've
managed to create, it's not an illusion that's appreciated by much of the
community, and by much of the rest of the country.  Indeed, I think the
illusion is worse than simply not positive -- it's actually harmful for this
community.  Good people express hesitation about moving themselves -- and
their families -- here for jobs or to start businesses because Christ Church
has made this community look like one where racism, sexism, homophobia,
religious intolerance, and a whole host of other evils are "accepted" by the
community.

Regardless of how "silly" anyone thinks it, we have credible reports from
unbiased WSU faculty that some students are afraid to come to Moscow because
of the carefully cultivated image Christ Church has propagated about Moscow.

I personally have talked to potential UI students who opted not to come here
because of the Christ Church image problem.

And, I know a wide variety of people who are less comfortable living here
since the Kirk's agenda to control the community has become apparent in
spite of the attempted double-speak by those in the Kirk.

In part, you wrote:
"I would be condemned to death if their biblical society ever came to be
because of my past studying of the occult and because I'm not a professing
Christian.  Yet, they aren't pushing for laws to do that."

Again, I guess we have different thresholds.  I see that they *do* push for
laws to make this community, this state, and this nation conform to their
worldview.  They were outraged by a silly top-free carwash a few years back,
so they threatened and protested and coerced our elected officials to get
female breasts criminalized here.  In the process, Moscow, Idaho made
national (and international) news as a laughingstock.  A lot of time,
energy, and money was expended by local government to placate the Kirk and
their threats, and as a result, one of the most restrictive -- and likely
unconstitutional -- laws in the nation was put on our local books in 2002,
helped in no small part by their stealth council member.  AFAIK, the law has
yet to be enforced in spite of the fact that virtually every day this
summer, and most days the rest of the year, I've seen clear violations of
the ordinance.  Yeah, Moscow, is sooo much safer since the Kirk forced that
law through, isn't it?  That was a *great* use of scarce resources just to
appease a very small but vocal minority.  You can blame the City officials
if you want (there's plenty of blame to go around, something I hope people
won't forget with the upcoming elections and some of the names we're likely
to see as candidates), but the blame also rightly belongs with those who got
their shorts in a twist and organized to force the rest of us to kowtow to
their desires:  the Kirk.

They actively supported of Prop. 1 in 1994, which failed.  They actively
supported the Anti-Marriage Amendment last year, which passed.  They've run
local stealth candidates, some of whom won, some of whom lost.  They -- and
their children -- have picketed local businesses and filed criminal and
zoning complaints and boycotted businesses with which they disagree.  Please
note:  these ***actions*** were *not* those only of the hierarchy but also
by "regular" Kirk members and their children.

With all due respect, Paul, I think you are making a mistake the Kirk
depends on the uninformed tolerant amongst us making:  you fail to take
their stated objectives at face value.  According to the Kirk, things like
feminism, abortion, and homosexuality are clear symptoms (or perhaps causes)
of the moral decay in our community, and in our nation, and as Jesus'
soldiers, they have a duty to rid our community of those "evils" using any
and all methods -- no matter how dishonest and/or despicable -- at their
disposal.  If that means lying to civil authorities, so be it.  This
***isn't*** belief we're talking about, these are concrete actions and
concrete attacks on our community.

I don't know if you've ever been pointed in this direction before, but in
case you've not, I recommend you take a bit of time to read Jim Wilson's
_Principles of War A Handbook on Strategic Evangelism_.  Luckily, it's
freely available online and is a very quick read:
http://www.ccmbooks.org/onlinebooks/pow/index.htm

Then please think about what you read in light of Doug Wilson's comments
from the pulpit on 12-28-2003:

"In the 60s my father wrote a small but enormously influential book called
The Principles of War.  In it he applied the principle of physical warfare
to what he calls strategic evangelism.  This idea of warfare is necessary in
order to understand a central part of what is happening here, and by this I
mean the concept of the decisive point.  A decisive point is one which is
simultaneously strategic and feasible.  Strategic means that it would be a
significant loss to the enemy if taken.  Feasible means that it’s possible
to take.  New York City is strategic but not feasible; Bovil is feasible but
not strategic.  But small towns with major universities, Moscow and Pullman,
say, are both.  Now, this explains why the conflict is here.”

The Kirk -- not this community -- started the conflict *here* and continues
the conflict *here.*  They rely on our genuine tolerance -- and our inertia
-- to allow them remake this community into what *they* want.

You also wrote:
"Now, as has been pointed out to me, if people have protested the officials
in Moscow that appeared to allow the rules to be bent or broken and nothing
has come of it - then what do you do?  I say, whatever you do, leave the
individual Christ Church members alone unless you are talking about the guys
that make the decisions there.  Take up your fight, again, with the powers
that be in Moscow.  Talk to the press (again)."

Quite frankly, I had a lot more sympathy for the rank-and-file members of
the Kirk until they actively became a part of the Conspiracy of Silence.
Since then, my respect for their autonomy requires that I hold them
accountable as well.

I want to clarify that it's not just *Moscow* city officials who've allowed
the Kirk hierarchy to get away with their shenanigans.  I find it hilarious
-- but also sad -- what skids can be greased with a the gift of a bottle of
wine or two or three coupled by a wolf in sheep's clothing saying "We're
local Christians -- we'd never do you wrong."

What to do?  Well, one thing is to NOT sit by an allow the shenanigans to
continue.  People need to speak up loudly and often and in a variety of
venues . . . including the Trinity Fest if they so wish.

Elected officials are one matter.  Clearly we've got too many of them who
were never taught, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on
*me*."  Personally, I think it will be interesting to watch how the Moscow
City Council handles the whole "cathedral" notion -- if you want a real
hoot, go back and read the minutes for the rezoning process.  I'll
definitely be thinking about accountability when I vote, both for those who
decided to let that rezoning go through with no restrictions in spite of
their own reservations and concerns *and* for those who were STUPIDLY
blinded by the empty assurances of "developers.".

However, staff present a whole other challenge.  They have no direct
accountability to citizens, so we can't vote them out when we see them being
snookered -- or worse -- time and again by those "nice Christ Church
people."  For some, I really think it incomprehensible to them that they are
dealing with bald-faced liars who will stoop to any level imaginable to
manipulate staff to get the Kirk's way.

So, you chose to not protest the Trinity Fest, and that's your prerogative.
But, really, it's offensive to me and rather presumptuous of you to chastise
others for exercising their legitimate First Amendment rights just because
you aren't moved at this moment to do so.

Was this sad little performance at the Kenworthy a right time to protest the
Kirk's desire to remake Moscow?  I didn't think so, but it's not up to me --
or to you -- to determine when and where others can speak out about what
they find repugnant and dangerous.

I was happy to hear that Mikey's Gyros apparently offered a free showing of
Michael Hayes' documentary _My Town_ during Trinity Fest  :-)

Sorry this went on for so long, but I do appreciate the dialogue.  I
sometimes wonder, though, what it's going to take to wake people up?  I
personally am not willing to wait until  "they ever start trying to pass
laws that state that heathens or gays or adulterers should be executed," as
you seem to suggest, to register my STRONG objection to their stated desires
and definite actions to remake this community to suit their worldview.
While some people laugh at the notion, I surely don't want anything like
what happened in Antelope-Rajneesh-Antelope, OR to happen here.  No, it's
much better, IMHO, to fight the evil before it becomes law and for this
community to make it CLEAR that we will not allow our community to be
morphed to reflect their decidedly ungodly worldview.

Actions may speak louder than words, and in the case of the Kirk, we have
plenty of both from its hierarchy to see what their real agenda is.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2007 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****