[Vision2020] A Message to Lois Blackburn

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 7 06:01:14 PDT 2007

>From Courtney's Brainless Log (BLog) - Read below and see attached PDF file.

A Message to Lois Blackburn

Note to Lois Blackburn: the vast majority of downtown is "private property".

That means it belongs to the property owner(s). It does not belong to the
"community" - unless a) it is either city property or b) you have mistaken
this town for the other Moscow in the former Communist Russia where property
belonged to the collective.

The following letter to the editor appeared in today's Moscow-Pullman Daily
News:

"Several of my favorite people are members of Christ Church, and I'm glad
for them if they are having fun at the Trinity Fest in downtown Moscow this
week. But I have a personal message for you, their ambitious pastor. Let not
your temporary overwhelming presence downtown imply a permanent takeover.

Downtown Moscow belongs to all of us in the community: people of other
faiths, intoleristas, secularists, heterosexuals, homosexuals, and those
who, under Confederate auspices, would belong to that "multiracial society
of mutual intimacy and harmony" called slavery. Live beside us and among us,
but not over us.

I give you the Tiny Tim blessing: "God bless us, every one" - no exceptions.

Lois Blackburn, Moscow"

Yes, Courtney.  A majority of downtown (the entire town for that matter)
consists of private land.

However, since this land exists within the city of Moscow, it is subject to
the limitations set forth in the zoning code, to include its
type-of-building requirements, not to mention (here's that ugly word again)
parking problems that such a structure would cause.

But then, "management" of Anselm House (where family values are promoted
almost as often as family members) has always placed itself above the law,
hasn't it?

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)