[Vision2020] (no subject)

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 6 13:56:07 PDT 2007

Dr. Schwaller,

It is fine with me if you'd like to continue to play my-name-is-not-
Doug. I find it VERY strange but maybe that’s just me.

For the record, if you use my words to support your views, please
get it right. I said that "there is no such thing as an 'unfettered'
right," including free speech, but that has little to do with the
recent protest downtown.

I didn't want to protest in front of the Kenworthy because it seemed
rude and pointless, not because I thought that such protest was not
protected by the first amendment. The only time that I think that
free speech should be fettered is when it leads to harm: slander,
crying 'fire,' etc. My comments were quite unrelated to the recent
protest.

Also, since you read my last town crier I wonder if you read one of
my earlier ones on the paradox of intolerance. To criticize someone
who defends the death and exile of gays, or someone who partakes in
revisionism about slavery, is not to be intolerant. Neither of these
is an example of mere opinion. Perhaps you don't have any gay or
black friends, so it is of no concern to you when others use
threatening or insulting speech toward them. But I'm always going to
say something in response to hate speech. And if you can tell me WHY
that is intolerant instead of just saying it is, I'd appreciate it!

-- Joe Campbell