[Vision2020] Water

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Sun Aug 5 12:42:58 PDT 2007

Yes, Bev, we have had brown tinted water lately. However, when I first
noticed it it all came out in very dark color when I turned on my hot water.
The cold water seemed to be more clear. This usually means that the problem
is local-- in my water heater perhaps. But I'm not sure. Maybe the
hot-water-moment flushed most of the brown and I didn't notice the browness
in the cold water as much. And just yesterday, the water in my white mug
seemed a little red/brown.

Sometimes when there is construction or water works going on in town, there
will be a little brown.

All this is probably fairly normal and not dangerous. The brown is probably
just plain ol' dirt (soil). Heck it might even be good for you.

However, I do worry about our water. The periodic leaflet we get from the
water works people warns us that the contaminants in our water may be
harmful to the elderly, small children, or people whose immune system is
compromised (or similar language). I do notice that our water is not
particularly good for the plants in my orchid collection. However, I mostly
grow Catasetinae and you can just about water these with gasoline and they
won't mind. (http://cosmo.turbonet.com). They don't like salty water,
though.

Bob Dickow, troublemaker