[Vision2020] The quiet election

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Fri Aug 3 10:06:33 PDT 2007

Hi Dave,

This was in Monday's Moscow-Pullman Daily News -- HTH:

Clyde: Highway district election needs to be taken seriously
By Devin Rokyta, Daily News staff writer
July 30, 2007

North Latah Highway District Commissioner Sherman Clyde said people might
not realize the importance of his job.

Clyde, who will not seek re-election in the Aug. 7 election, has spent 24
years as the district's Moscow-area representative.

He hopes people take the election seriously because the highway
commissioners are responsible for roughly 800 miles of roads in Latah
County.

"It affects a lot of people," Clyde said. "I hope people turn out to vote."

Juliaetta resident Polly Taylor Dennler said she plans to vote in the South
Latah Highway District election. Her main point of contention with the
current south district commissioners is their lack of communication to
constituents.

"I don't think many people know what the commissioners do or even that they
can vote," Taylor Dennler said. "I don't think there is enough information
about what the commissioners do and how we can connect with them."

Taylor Dennler said she just wants to feel like the commissioners care about
residents' needs.

"I don't want a 40-page annual report, but something that comes out in a
timely fashion and lets us know they care about what the citizens want," she
said. "There is no excuse for not communicating. They need to continue to
attempt to inform."

Clyde said he made it a priority to be responsive to his constituents'
suggestions and complaints.

"I just try to be fair with everyone - everybody pays taxes," Clyde said.
"My feeling is I must not have ticked off too many people."

Clyde said he already had seven years of experience as a worker for the
highway district when he was first elected, and that experience made a
difference.

He knows the lack of experience with the highway district and the sheer
amount of responsibilities incorporating the position will leave his
successor and any newly elected commissioners in the south district with
their hands full.

The candidates "just haven't had that much experience - they will get an
education," Clyde said. "It is really hard out there; we are representing
the whole area."

Clyde said the new commissioners will be greeted with several pressing
issues, including the zoning and planning responsibilities.

Any rural subdivision of five or more homes must have paved roads, which
falls under the highway district's jurisdiction. Clyde said in effect, the
district must approve any new subdivision.

The planning and zoning commissioners "are passing the buck off to the
highway district and that really upsets me," Clyde said. "They are making us
look like the bad guys."

Clyde said he thinks the county will see many more subdivisions being built
in the coming years.

"I think there is going to be more and more of it," Clyde said. "What do we
do? Say no, and then we are the ones that don't want any development."

The subdivisions under the highway district's control will not be allowed to
gate their communities or install speed bumps, as the roads are public.

Clyde said there also are many day-to-day issues involved in keeping county
roads in the proper condition, and that the roads need better upkeep than
they're currently getting.

"This year they are real bad," he said. "The only way to get them in shape
is to take a water truck out there, and they don't want us using all that
water."

Clyde said there are two options when it comes to improving roads - applying
mag-chloride or paving. Both help eliminate dust, which is a major safety
issue because it creates poor visibility for drivers.

Mag-chloride keeps dust down, but it must be reapplied each year. That is
why Clyde said he believes paving is the better solution from both a
short-term and long-term perspective.

"The dust is dangerous for the people and the kids," Clyde said. "You get
the road paved and you don't have that problem."

Clyde said budget issues caused by rising oil prices also will be one of the
major obstacles faced by new commissioners.

"A few years ago it cost $30,000 to pave a mile of road, and now it is
$100,000," Clyde said.

Overall, Clyde said he just hopes qualified commissioners prevail in the
election.

"I just hope we get someone in there who will do a good job," Clyde said. "I
guess you never know."

Charles Bond, Michelle Fuson, Monte McMillan and Donald E. Olson are running
for Clyde's seat as commissioner in Subdistrict No. 1 of the North Latah
Highway District.

In the South Latah Highway District, Dwayne Roach, Terry Geltz and incumbent
Jay Nelson are running for commissioner in Subdistrict No.1, and Kelley
Giese and incumbent Wade Hampton are running for commissioner in Subdistrict
No. 2.

Devin Rokyta can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 237, or by e-mail at
drokyta at dnews.com.