[Vision2020] Pet Food Recall (was RECALL: Chenango . . . )

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 27 10:35:31 PDT 2007

Hi Steven,

You wrote:
"Thanks for posting these.  But at this point, wouldn't it just be easier to
list all the pet foods that haven't been recalled?"

If it helps:
http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

The problem is any "safe" foods list changes as often as there are recalls.
Too, it's not such a simple issue as these are volunteer efforts that are
only as good and reliable as those who maintain such lists, and the pet food
industry is far more convoluted than I ever knew.  Since this whole tragedy
started, the link above is the third or fourth (maybe even fifth) "safe
foods" list I've been monitoring -- the previous lists are now defunct.

For those who have perhaps be offended by Donovan's & Tony's reactions to
the pet food recall debacle, DON'T BE!!!  We all know Donovan has a vested
interest in the importation of unsafe and inferior products and raw
materials from China because without that, his beloved Wal-Mart wouldn't be
able to continue to rip off consumers and its own employees.

As for both Donovan's & Tony's juvenile poking fun as the suffering of the
sentient beings and their guardians who have been sickened and killed by
tainted pet food, I can only imagine they must be jealous at the attention
being paid to non-human animals, particularly to those cats, dogs, monkeys,
and apes with more latent intelligence than either of them possess.

I cannot imagine they'd find anything funny about the whole sorry and
preventable situation if either of them personally knew anyone who had been
harmed by this scandal.  Sadly, some people only learn compassion once
they've walked a mile in another's shoes, and it appears that both Donovan &
Tony fit into that category.

See, I can be cuttingly clever, too -- it's very easy to do  ;-)  Does it
help the situation or is it a kind or compassionate way to be?  No.

It's been said that by the time this is all over and done with, we'll owe a
huge debt of gratitude to cats & dogs because they became our "canaries in
the coal mine" to illustrate exactly how unsafe our own food supply has
become with the erosion of the FDA and the increasing importation of foods &
raw products from countries with lower safety standards & fewer procedural
safeguards and quality control than our own country.  Debates &
congressional hearings are being held because Americans are finally
demanding we address this vital issue that's been overlooked for too long
all in the name of bigger profit margins as the expense of safety.

It's about time!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****