[Vision2020] DNA exoneration reaches 200; questions remain for justice system

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Apr 24 15:55:25 PDT 2007

One of the reasons, I believe, that those who support the death penalty do so with the caveat that errors will be made, but those errors are what a civilized society pays to be safe; is that those we put to death are most often poor, minority, unemployed, undereducated, and mentally deficient.  It's simple to count those errors as a societal cost for our protection when they don't happen to us and the ones we love.  I used to feel that way, too, but I have come to believe there is something wrong with a society and the people within it, who feel "the execution of a few innocents," is a price we can afford.

Sue