[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam] We Can Have Green Conservatism -- And We Should

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Mon Apr 23 15:49:07 PDT 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Newt Gingrich" NewtGingrich at HumanEventsOnline.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:59:37 -0700
To: L.  ROGER FALEN lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: [Spam] We Can Have Green Conservatism -- And We Should

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WINNING THE FUTURE by Newt Gingrich
A 21st Century Contract with America
APRIL 23, 2007 | Vol. 2, No. 17

Printer Friendly Version:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344167&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

WE CAN HAVE GREEN CONSERVATISM -- AND WE SHOULD

I had a debate a couple weeks ago with Sen. John Kerry --
followed by a speech last week -- about something called "green
conservatism." Some of my old friends have approached me to ask
why I'm spending so much time talking about the environment --
and with a former Democratic nominee for President no less.

The answer is simple: For the last 36 years, I have watched the
pro-regulation, pro-litigation, pro-taxation liberals label
themselves as the only Americans who care about the environment.

The leftwing machine would have you believe that to care about
clean air and water, biodiversity, and the future of the Earth
you have to both buy in to their catastrophic scenarios and sign
on to their command-and-control bureaucratic liberal agenda,
including dramatic increases in government power and draconian
policies that will devastate our economy, as the only solution
to environmental challenges.

The time has come to define a fundamentally different approach
to a healthy environment and a healthy economy. The time has
come for the development of Green Conservatism as an alternative
to big bureaucracy and big litigation liberal environmentalism.

(Continued below)

~~~~~~~~~~ Sponsored Content ~~~~~~~~~~

WHAT DO WINSTON CHURCHILL, ALBERT EINSTEIN AND RONALD REAGAN
HAVE IN COMMON?

Each of these influential world leaders delivered speeches of
such profound impact at critical points in our history that they
changed our lives forever.

Vital Speeches of the Day magazine, the leading forum for
speechwriters and speakers since 1934, has compiled the best of
its archives of 17,000+ speeches to create the provocative 25
Speeches That Changed Our World interactive DVD.

Now you can own 25 of the most significant speeches in modern
history-many from times of war-just as Americans find themselves
in today. Best of all, you can WATCH and LISTEN to select
speeches, including Reagan's "Shining City" farewell address!

Click here to get your limited-edition DVD today!
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344168&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conserving Our Environment, Not Expanding Our Government

Before I talk about what I mean by Green Conservatism, I want to
say a few words about how I got to this belief and why I think
it's so important for the future of our movement.

I first became interested in conservation when I was a kid in
Pennsylvania. Notice that I use the word "conservation." It
reflects my fundamental disagreement with today's liberal
environmentalists. I believe we should be good stewards of the
natural world. We should "conserve" it for our benefit and our
children's and grandchildren's benefit, not use it as an excuse
for massively expanding regulation, litigation and bureaucracy.

In any case, as a child I originally wanted to be either a zoo
director or a vertebrate paleontologist because I was fascinated
by the natural world -- and still am. In 1971, I participated in
the second Earth Day and became the coordinator of an
interdisciplinary Environmental Studies program at West Georgia
College. In my commitment to the environment, I was echoing the
conviction of two well known Republican leaders. The first was
President Theodore Roosevelt, who said that "the nation behaves
well if it treats the natural resources as assets, which it must
turn over to the next generation increased, and not impaired, in
value." The other was then Gov. Ronald Reagan, who upon the
occasion of the first Earth Day said that "[there is an]
absolute necessity of waging all-out war against the debauching
of the environment."

Liberal Environmentalism: Radical, Hysterical and Inaccurate

I care about conserving our environment. But for too many years,
liberals have defined what it means to care about the environment
-- and too often at a level that is so radical, so hysterical and
so inaccurate that the first reaction of conservatives is to
oppose them. Without articulate conservative leadership on
conservation, the result has too often been that conservatives
are labeled anti-environment. For too long, we have not led with
our solutions for the environment, while liberals propose and
dominate the debate with ill-conceived regulations, a focus on
litigation instead of science, and a focus on taxes instead of
markets and incentives. Conservatives have allowed liberals to
monopolize and hold the high ground on a subject of great
concern to all Americans. With your help, I want to change that.

We have every reason to call out all outlandish, fear-mongering
exaggerations -- but that doesn't mean we should stop there when
it comes to the issue of the environment.

For example, former Vice President Al Gore suggests that global
warming is so bad that we could have a 20-foot rise in the
oceans in the near future. No responsible scientist anywhere
believes that to be true. But if the debate becomes, "Al Gore
cares about the earth, and we're against Al Gore," we end up in
a defensive position where the average American could end up
perceiving conservatives as always being negative about the
environment.

Green Conservatism: Pro-Freedom, Pro-Market, Pro-Environment

I'd like to offer you a different view: You can be totally
committed to conservative principles -- to individual liberty, a
market economy, entrepreneurship and lower taxes -- and still be
a Green Conservative. You can believe that with the sound use of
science and technology and the right incentives to encourage
entrepreneurs, conservatism can provide a better solution for
the health of our planet than can liberalism.

So what is Green Conservatism? Here are its basic values:

Green Conservatism favors clean air and clean water.

Green Conservatism understands biodiversity as a positive good.

Green Conservatism favors minimizing carbon loading in the
atmosphere as a positive public value.

Green Conservatism is pro-science, pro-technology and
pro-innovation.

Green Conservatism believes that green prosperity and green
development are integral to the successful future of the human
race.

Green Conservatism believes that economic growth and
environmental health are compatible in both the developed and
developing world.

Green Conservatism believes that we can realize more positive
environmental outcomes faster by shifting tax code incentives
and shifting market behavior than is possible from litigation
and regulation.

(Continued below)

~~~~~~~~~~ Sponsored Content ~~~~~~~~~~

THEY CAN'T SILENCE US ALL!

Some of today's most courageous alternative doctors dare not
speak publicly about the lifesaving new medicines they've
discovered. These are not the familiar 'natural remedies' you
read about elsewhere...and vested interests will do ANYTHING to
prevent them from reaching YOU.

But we have the inside story on the greatest new medicines of
our time...

End-stage cancers destroyed by botanical that even saved
Chernobyl victims...
Heart failure reversed in 2 weeks. No more plaque! Surgeons
cancel bypasses...
Arthritis pain completely erased in 2 days with enormous relief
in 15 minutes...

In this privately circulated report, we're breaking the silence
about the greatest new medicines of our time...

Click Here to Learn More
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344169&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key to Green Conservatism: Energy Independence From Dangerous
Dictatorships

A key part of Green Conservatism is to make sure that we don't
have only an "environment policy," but we have a comprehensive
"energy and environment" policy.

For green prosperity and green development, we have to have a
strategy that makes the transition from the unimproved fossil
fuels that dramatically improved the quality of life over the
pre-industrial period. We need a new generation of clean energy
that will: enable us, in national security terms, to be
liberated from dependence on dangerous dictatorships; enable us,
in economic terms, to be effective in worldwide competition; and
enable us, in environmental terms, to provide for a much cleaner
and healthier future.

Reliable, affordable energy is indispensable to economic growth
around the planet, and economic growth is essential to a
healthier environment. In so many ways, both here and abroad, we
truly achieve "green through growth."

Sounds Good, but How Do We Get There?

You may have heard me say before that one of the reasons I am
optimistic about the future of America is that we can expect
four to seven times as much new scientific knowledge and
innovation in the next 25 years as we have had in the past 100.
As a result, America is truly ideally suited to meet the
challenges of conserving our environment. Americans excel at
precisely those capabilities that will be required:
entrepreneurially led technological innovation and utilization
of the power of the free market to provide better environmental
outcomes with economic growth advantages, not disadvantages.

There are two key ways we can encourage this entrepreneurialism
and innovation:

Allow Prizes to Compete With Process in Our Government-led
Scientific Research Investments. We should significantly invest
in prizes as a competitive alternative to the current
peer-reviewed process of scientific research. We should, for
example, offer prizes for the development of high gas mileage
cars and other carbon-reduction challenges. We must maximize the
rate at which we develop and diffuse new technologies both here
and abroad, and prizes have historically unleashed dramatic
creativity and innovation. Read here for a partial listing of
examples of previous and current prizes.
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344170&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

Offer Carbon Reduction Tax Credits. Green conservatism values
reducing the carbon loading of the atmosphere. The least
economically disruptive and least government empowering models
will be the most effective in achieving this value. We should
therefore create a program of carbon-reduction tax credits. One
such tax credit idea is to incentivize the creation of new
energy production technologies that reduce carbon loading.

Our Entrepreneurs and Markets vs. Their Lawyers, Bureaucrats and
Regulations

Our generation faces the extraordinary challenge of bringing to
bear science and technology, entrepreneurship, and the
principles of effective markets in order to enable people to
have a good life both economically and environmentally.

So in the future, I'm going to be talking a lot about Green
Conservatism. After all, conservatives can stand toe to toe with
any liberal anywhere in America when it comes to wanting to build
a better future for ourselves and our families. Four hundred
years of American experience has demonstrated that a commitment
to science, entrepreneurship and free markets can create better
solutions for a better future than lawyers and bureaucrats and
their never-ending schemes of regulation and taxation.

So stayed tuned. Green Conservatism is an idea whose time has
come.

Your friend,

Newt Gingrich

P.S. -- Just a quick note to let you know that the launch date
for my new novel, Pearl Harbor, is rapidly approaching. It will
be available in bookstores on May 14, but you can pre-order it
now at Amazon.com.
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344171&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

(Continued Below)

~~~~~~~~~~ Sponsored Content ~~~~~~~~~~

FREE BOOK OFFER:
America The Last Best Hope Vol. II

Click Here to Learn More:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344172&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** On the Radio **

Winning the Future with Newt Gingrich, a new series of 90-second
radio commentaries, can be heard Monday through Friday on more
than 350 radio stations during The G. Gordon Liddy Show and The
Michael Reagan Show. For a list of stations, click here:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344173&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

RELATED COMMENTARY:

Unfiltered Information on the Environment
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344176&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

Mainstream Environmentalism
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344177&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

EcoVision 2007
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344178&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

The Branson Prize
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344179&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

Energy Independence, Not Oil Independence
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344180&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Leading the Majority - Winning the Future's Talk Radio Show

Friday at 2:00 PM ET, following The Right Hour with Paul Weyrich
on RighTalk.com

Each Friday on Leading the Majority, Rick and Vince interview
opinion leaders and policy experts. Be sure to tune in or you
can listen to last week's show now.

Listen:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344183&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

Rick Tyler is Newt's spokesman and Vince Haley directs Newt's
policy research.

Subscribe to the FREE podcast:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344181&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

Got iTunes? Click here to subscribe:
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/ct.php?t=1344182&c=1227648196&m=m&type=3&h=1307BB4154CA56170F1E43772FE3CC8C

If you have an organization or know of an organization that
would benefit from the national radio exposure gained by
sponsoring Winning the Future with Newt Gingrich, please contact
Mary Lou Davidson (marylou at matrixmediainc.com, 941-379-1440) at
Matrix Media to find out more about how you can make a
difference through this limited opportunity.

Forward this email to a friend: http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/forwardthis/ft.php?mID=939470&em=lfalen@turbonet.com&ch=cf9ce239ef6aab2bfa3b4623f44b49

If a friend has forwarded you this message, visit
www.HumanEvents.com to subscribe to FREE conservative news
alerts from Newt Gingrich, Ann Coulter, and Robert Novak.

Human Events
One Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001

This message was intended for: lfalen at turbonet.com