[Vision2020] Palouse Monopoly Empire Mall; Gas/Food prices

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 16:10:23 PDT 2007

Donovan Arnold wrote:
> Paul,
>
> It seems to me you are saying that if people cannot afford a $1 loaf
> of bread at WinCo they can always go buy a cake at Safeway for $19.95?
> I think you fail to grasp the concept that for thousands of people on
> the Palouse WinCo is something they can barely afford now. Safeway is
> not an option for many anymore than having fresh bread vacuum sealed
> and Fed Ex'd from Paris for many others.

Ok, it's been a while since I lived from one hoard of Ramen bought at
the cheapest price I could find to the next.  That's true.  I have been
there, though.  But is Safeway really that much more expensive?  Are we
talking your $1 loaf of bread costing $4 at Safeway, or $1.25?  How much
cheaper is this magical "discount" store?  I understand it's great for
bulk foods, but is it really that much more expensive to get the basics
at Safeway or Rosauers?

> I am glad you have the option of spending so freely as to do all your
> shopping anywhere you want. However, many people only have a $150
> budget for food or less and that doesn't buy much at Safeway. Top
> Ramen gets a little old after your 4000th helping over 5 years.

Well, I am glad you so often feel free to talk down to those of us who
happen not to be in the same financial straights that you are.  I have
worked my way up the ranks where I work and have been compensated
accordingly.  I made myself useful to those above me, and acquired some
skills that were needed on my own time.  I make more than some, but not
nearly as much as others.  I refuse to feel guilty about it.

I did pay my way through college with no loans, though.  I did my time
eating Ramen and saving up to rent a couple of videos to treat myself
with once in a while.  And I did this by shopping at Safeway, mostly.
Ramen on sale at Safeway for 10 cents each is still a great deal, even
if it's not at a qualified "discount" store.

Just so we're clear, while I do eat out a lot, I mostly live on PBJs and
such.  I am a bachelor, after all.  $10 will get me quite a few
sandwiches, even at the "expensive" stores.

> Safeway is NOT a super discount store. It is not for the poor and
> underclasses, it serves primarily the middle and upper middle class
> neighborhoods surrounding the area. People go there mostly
> for convenience of location or to avoid the large crowds at WinCo.

If WinCo went the way of the dodo bird, would those who shop at WinCo
starve?  I seem to remember a time before WinCo appeared where we did
not have mass starvations and famine.  Maybe my "middle class" status
blinded me to the facts?

I am curious, like I mentioned before, whether these massive chain
stores (even discount ones) are more at risk from rising gas prices than
Mom-and-Pop stores.  Presumably, they do more shipping than smaller
stores need to do.  If the gas prices are higher in Tuscaloosa, do they
average it out over all the stores price-wise?

Paul