[Vision2020] Holding government sites for ransom

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 20:45:18 PDT 2007

I don't know if anything can be done if it's someone from China, but in
the US the courts have occasionally slammed a "cyber-squatter" here and
there.  Someone who is simply sitting on a domain name that is not using
it can end up losing it if they end up going to court.  Of course, if
someone is using the name legitimately, then there is nothing you can
do.  Of course, the deeper the pockets you have the better you do in
court.  I remember something about a guy named "Mike Rowe" that had a
site called "mikerowesoft.com".  A large company in Redmond squashed it,
if I remember correctly.

Google has this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/26/mikerowesoft.settle.ap/

So I guess he got an XBox out of it.

Also be aware that if you let a domain name lapse, whoever picks it up
can make you look bad to your former audience, even if unintentionally.
I had that happen to me.

Paul