[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (April 20, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 20 06:05:59 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for April 20, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends April 20, 2007

Dear Friends,

The flag flies at half-mast at the University of Idaho, as we mourn the
horrific carnage of Monday's events in Virginia. We send the thoughts and
prayers of a sister institution, and a sister community, to all connected
with Virginia Tech. We offer support as they and their beloved institution -
faculty, staff, students and alumni - move through, and beyond, this dark
week.

Several among us at the University of Idaho have connections with Virginia
Tech as former students and employees, or through friends and colleagues.
Many now will develop a connection with Virginia Tech because of the
commonalities of our universities. Among other things, as a university
community we have just experienced a tragic killing in Moscow.

As I have all too recently written, violence has no place in environments of
discovery, learning and teaching, where reason, dialogue and respectful
debate are the means to solve differences, reach common understanding and
effect positive change in the world. Yet violence has intruded into worlds
of learning in Moscow and elsewhere, and now in Blacksburg, Virginia. These
are inexplicable and unacceptable violations of the open, thoughtful and
contemplative environment we consider important for creativity and learning
at a university.

Because of the heightened awareness and concern regarding safety on campus,
I am providing a brief summary of policies and procedures in place at the
University of Idaho:

* Safety and security at the University are provided by the City of Moscow
Police Department, which is in regular contact and coordinates closely with
us. County and state personnel assist as warranted. Federal law enforcement
provides support through coordination with the Moscow Police. Emergency
Medical Service support is triggered through the 911 notification mechanism,
and also uses cooperative agreements with surrounding communities as
warranted.

* The University of Idaho has an institution-wide emergency response plan
that outlines specific roles for key sectors of the campus in time of
emergency. The plan has been tested through exercises with selected
personnel, was updated in July, 2006 and is now entering its review phase
for 2007. The plan is activated by a Critical Incident Response Team that
calls upon appropriate resources and takes specific actions to respond to -
and communicate to the community about - a given incident.

* Firearms are allowed on campus under specific approved, controlled and
supervised circumstances. We have a firearms safety policy that outlines
these circumstances, but in short, loaded weapons are not allowed on campus.

The University of Idaho campus and the city of Moscow itself remain safe
places by any relevant measure. However, the incidents of the past weeks do
give us pause to re-examine our policies, procedures and general readiness.
We are doing so.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Spokane attorney Bill Goss '64 was an outstanding student-athlete who
lettered with the Idaho golf team. As an alumnus, he was a passionate Vandal
Booster. Bill passed away Oct. 18, 2003, at the age of 61. This past year,
his wife, Jeanne Marshall Goss; two children, Jim Goss and Julie Thompson;
brothers, Tim Goss and Dave Goss '69; and sister-in-law Anne Moree '69;
established the Bill Goss Memorial Scholarship, an annual award to be given
to a student-athlete on the golf team who is making sound progress towards a
degree. The University will honor Bill Goss' legacy and the family's
generosity with a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Bill Goss Team Room,
Saturday, April 28, during the Robb Akey Vandal Golf Tournament. The
ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m. at the University Golf Course and all are
welcome to attend. If you would like learn more about establishing an
athletic endowment at the University of Idaho, contact Rick Darnell at (208)
885-0258 or rdarnell at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3