[Vision2020] abused women/curtain rods

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Apr 19 11:58:57 PDT 2007

Debbi
I don't disagree with anything that you said about abused women. There is wide spread abuse. The curtain rods  bit was humor and had no relationship to anything. What I have been trying to point out(apparently unsuccessfully) is that the abuse of women or other social ills  has no relationship to fundamentalist beliefs. Abuse occurs in all walks of life and in all belief systems.
I personally believe  the relationship between a husband and wife should be a 50-50 deal. All relationships do not work that way due to different personalties. Aside from fundamentalism, some men are dominant and some women are submissive. In some cases it is the reverse. What ever works for each marriage is fine. In cases where both want to be dominant you are more likely to have an unhappy marriage. This is aside from abuse situations where one party is usually  dominant. Being dominant/submissive does  not necessarily equate to abuse.  My dad was in control of what went on in my family. He was not a fundamentalist. He was of the old school and thought women should be protected. He walked on the street side of the sidewalk when they went to town. He was very kind and considerate. He cooked breakfast and washed the dishes at night. At no time was there any abuse. On minor things Mon got anything she wanted. Their's was a very good  and loving relationship.

Roger