[Vision2020] Asian Night

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 20:38:07 PDT 2007

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the Asian Night cultural performance
tonight that was in the UI Auditorium.  I wish this was better
advertised, as I only saw one quick blurb in Today at Idaho.  It could have
been much better attended.  If I hear about it in advance next year,
I'll remind everyone about it in case people might be interested in
attending.

It was a lot of fun.  There was singing, Taiji performances, traditional
dancing, and drumming.  I especially like the taiko drummers and the
guzheng solo.  The guzheng, if you are uneducated about this like I am,
is the big six-foot long stringed instrument that you may have seen in
the movie Kung Fu Hustle (it was the instrument that fired the mystical
daggers - although this one for some reason didn't do that).  Still, the
music was quite good and the instrument has a lot of powerful sounds in
it.  The lady that played the pipa, which is the tear-shaped
banjo-looking instrument, was very good as well.  The singing was also
very good, especially the girl (Yao?).

Definitely worth it if you are interested in asian culture.

Paul