[Vision2020] An Easy Guide to Avoiding Racial Offense

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 17:54:51 PDT 2007

All-in-all a good list.  I would also like to make the point that,
depending upon where and when you grew up, it's not always easy not to
accidentally offend someone.  I remember making the mistake of jokingly
calling someone an "Indian-giver" in a meeting when they gave us
something and then took it away (no Native Americans present).  I got
raked over the coals for it.  However, it's just the term that I was
used to using since I was about five for that uncommon practice.  I
wasn't even thinking about the history of the term or the fact that it
could be derogative.  Yet the reaction I got was truly inspiring.  So,
I'll tell you what.  I'll try not to put my foot in my mouth if everyone
else will take a deep breath and relax if I happen to inadvertently slip up.

Paul